New 2k project

ok maybe we could group our project :D

Remove lsass

Use minlogon from xp embedded

Use NT3.51 program manager for the desk top.

1. lsass.exe is part of winlogon and part of networking

for reference :

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/lsass.exe.html

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...slibrary/lsass/

2. why minlogon? give me some reason

3. why progman? why don't use explorer from NT 4.0? and why don't use standar win2k? it more stable, or maybe we should try alternate shell like bblean (blackbox lean), bb4win (blackbox for windows), sharpE, GeoShell?

lsass like you said is part of networking but its part of the complex netwoking which most people at home with a modem and router doesnt need.

Minlogon from embedded made xp into a single user machine. This made booting much faster and used much less ram.

To me the simpler desktop from NT3.51 was much cleaner, but everything was very close. Much closer than

start>programs>_______

I do like your idea of using explorer from NT4 or an alternate shell :thumbup

With minlogon I had varied degrees of sucess. Some things werent saved upon reboot, but it sure did boot fast.

I know windows 2000 didnt have embedded but NT4 did :whistle:

Maybe after working the kinks outRename this to Windows 2000 Personal or Home---or----NT5 Personal or Home

Maybe after working the kinks outRename this to Windows 2000 Personal or Home---or----NT5 Personal or Home

pick me for the beta tester list :D

i thinking again about X2K, should we intergrate that minlogon thing as a feature? i have tried to use some apps from winxp and some didn't work well on win2k (noticed the powerfull taskman :D)

do you have some list of file from xp/2k3 that can be use in win2k?

lsass.exe is considered a critical system process. If it stops running (or isn't found), the machine will bugcheck or do a 60-second reboot due to system security being compromised. Since this is coded into the kernel, you won't be able to remove it.

Oh definitly from 2k3 will be NTDETECT and NTLDR. I am going to see if gdogg will help in the milogon intergration. He has sucessfully got it to work in xp. If I can get a few files from NT4 embedded might even be better.

I got some IT friends they might help out with files.

Do you guys think the program manager from NT3.5 is a good idea or not?

I tried minlogon with xp and wasn't that impressed with speeds. When properly reduced, windows does fine on its own. Here's what you can expect with different flavors of 2k. These were don't without using Nlite.

Link1 and link2.

removing i.e. is always a plus for me. it uses too many resources,too buggy,and too big a securty risk.

would win2k appliance server kit would be of any use?

Do you take out IE and core?

The appliance kit sounds interesting

2K/ie6/dx9/codecs* 1700 130 12 35meg 245 meg 100 meg <-hfslip red. 1/27/06

This is very impressive/\

Was any functionality lost?

That's a loaded question. So if I wanted wordpad or some other odd or end, then functionality is lost. However, I use this setup as the base for real applications. All works fine and no functionality is gone.

I'll check out to see if it's possible to remove lsass.exe.

Edit - Looks like lsass.exe is needed pretty early in the setup process.

Edited by tommyp