Setting computer name

I have added a variable to the login.osc file where I have the individual performing the installation assign the pc a name. The variable is PCNAME. We are not joining the computer to the domain during the install since we can't get the domain to accept a passed password. If we hardcode the user and password in the SIF file it joins but it won't using the varialbe from Login.osc. We are not allowed to use a hardocded username and password.

My questions are

How do I set the computer account that is created via RIS to this variable name?

If I am unable to set the computer account to this variable, at what point in the install can I remove the account?

Thanks

Bn2hunt

Hey there bn2hunt

Is sounds like you're using the Automatic option from the RIS menu. Ensure that Custom is enabled as an option then use Custom install instead of Automatic , it will then use the custom.osc. I have edited this file to allow a person with permissions to enter a computer name then select the OU in Active Directory where the computer account should be created.

<FORM ACTION="OSCUST">

Computer name: <INPUT NAME="MACHINENAME" SIZE=63 MAXLENGTH=63><BR>

Location     &nbsp:<SELECT NAME="MACHINEOU">

<OPTION VALUE="enterdomainname/enter OU structure/computers">enter name of OU to add the computer account to.

This works very well for us as our Computer naming convention differs for each section and the computer accounts are spread out accross multiple OUs.

Hope this helps