[Virus]Need some help! :]

Craney

Hey everyone!

OK i've got a problem, i have AVG free and it keeps telling me its detected a virus in

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\LocalSettings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QLAFY52J\gdnFR2218[1].exe (althought the QLAFY52J directory varies)

and then after that it says

Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.NON

i really dont know what to do, i've booted into safe mode and tried to delete the files but the .exe file isnt there, i can't delete anything else in the those folders either. i have a file in my system32 folder called dcomcfg of something, i got rid of that.

any help is GREATLY appreciated.

thanks in advance :)

craney

Craney,

Good Morning (Sunday).

In the first place you shouldn't be hanging on to those old temporary internet files.

You can dump the intire folder "Content.IE5".

You can also run window's own "Disk Cleanup" to dump those folders. Do it in Safemode if you have any problems in Normal mode.

To use Disk Cleanup, go to:

START/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/ Disk Cleanup.

Make sure to check all the little boxes before you say YES to do the cleanup.

Again, you may need to do this in Safe Mode.

I've written my own batch file to delete all those kinds of files on every boot-up.

I know that mine is working because after I run it (manually) I also run Disk Cleanup

and it normally comes up with NO files to delete.

Delete all those temp files and make sure your AVG is up to date, Run a full scan, then run Defrag and come back and let us know how you're doing.

Andromeda43

hey andromeda43, thanks for the reply.

i have used disk cleanup and it does get rid of the temp internet files but not the content.ie5 files. i cant delete them because they're read only, i untick the box and it just makes it read-only by itself again.

i booted into safe mode and tried it, still no luck

:(

craney

hey nitroshift

i tried what you said and it deleted the temp internet files but not the content.ie5 folder (btw i cant even see this folder, even if i enable the option that lets me see hidden files and folders) the only way i get to it is by typing the address in.

anyway i cant get rid of it, even in safe mode.

avg still keeps reporting the virus being in that folder and that .exe file

really dont know what to do now :(

craney

The Content.IE5 folder is under special system attribute and you cannot see it properly or delete it while logged on as the current user.

It's very simple: logon to another admin account (use the root Administrator account if that's not your account, or create a new admin user account if needed) and manually delete the whole Content.IE5 folder of the original user.

I do this all the time (in fact I do it from an adjacent XP installation but the the underlying principle is the same).