Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

HOWTO: Integrate Apr WGA!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Francesco

Francesco

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined 20-March 04
Here's how to integrate the new April WGA (and probably future versions).

1) install windows xp sp2 on a clean machine (or a virtual machine)
2) install windows update agent on the clean xp sp2 install
3) access windows update, click on one of the 2 button (rapid or custom)
4) wait windows update to ask you to install the new windows update version
5) click on the double-arrows button to see if it only shows the wga fix (I don't remember the kb num right now)
6) start installing it but WHEN the download completes and the "Installing blabla ..." message shows press the Cancel button immediately.
7) Open c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and search for the *Legit*.dll file
8) Copy the directory that contain that file somewhere else
9) That directory will contain the wga april hotfix that you can integrate or you can use it to create a sfx that will run "update\update.exe /passive" after extraction.

If you want you can replace the legitcheckcontrol.dll with a "customized" version just make sure modifype has been run on it...

Edited by Francesco, 09 May 2006 - 04:46 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Super-Magician

Super-Magician

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Joined 15-January 06
How about this direct download link to WGA Notifications (KB905474)?

Posted Image
--------------------
Posted Image

Francesco

Francesco

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined 20-March 04

How about this direct download link to WGA Notifications (KB905474)?

WGA install still shows as a mandatory update on windows update even with WGA Notifications integrated

Super-Magician

Super-Magician

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Joined 15-January 06
And you have the most up-to-date version of regular WGA (KB892130) installed? Hmmm...

I've been using HFSLIP to slipstream updates such as WGA (both of these versions, see my signature), but WU does not complain.

Posted Image
--------------------
Posted Image

Francesco

Francesco

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined 20-March 04
As long as I could see unless you have the wga .cat installed it will continue to complain unless you install the hotfix that I explained how to get. Maybe the wga notifications install that .cat too however I didn't try integrating it yet

ophiel

ophiel

Beatbox Rocker

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 16-March 06
thanks Francesco for sharing this tip, i'm going to try it right now.

super-magician, why would we care about your unrelated KB, it's not required for windows update and from what i hear is quite an annoyance.
it's generally considered bad practice to install extra things you don't need.
banned because of attitude against crew and fellow members.

Francesco

Francesco

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined 20-March 04
**** I'm trying to integrate microsoft update too but as long as I could see all the installation process is made via web, it only downloads an activex package to start the installation and then nothing more. I wonder what does it use to create the shortcuts&c.

Super-Magician

Super-Magician

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Joined 15-January 06

super-magician, why would we care about your unrelated KB, it's not required for windows update and from what i hear is quite an annoyance.

What do you mean 'unrelated'?? Both of these WGA updates are listed by Windows Update as 'critical'. I understand that WGA Notifications isn't "required" for Windows Update to function, but eventually, Microsoft will force you to install it on your computer.

I'm trying to integrate microsoft update too but as long as I could see all the installation process is made via web, it only downloads an activex package to start the installation and then nothing more. I wonder what does it use to create the shortcuts&c.

I have already been able to integrate Microsoft Update. Download the MUWEB CAB file from Microsoft. It contains the DLL file required for Microsoft Update. For integration into Windows, you must also import a datastore.ebd file. This has been placed in the attached SFX file.

For more information, see here.

Attached File  DataStore.exe   114.41KB   385 downloads

Edited by Super-Magician, 16 January 2007 - 03:43 PM.

Posted Image
--------------------
Posted Image

Francesco

Francesco

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined 20-March 04

What do you mean 'unrelated'?? Both of these WGA updates are listed by Windows Update as 'critical'. I understand that WGA Notifications isn't "required" for Windows Update to function, but eventually, Microsoft will force you to install it on your computer.

I'm trying to integrate microsoft update too but as long as I could see all the installation process is made via web, it only downloads an activex package to start the installation and then nothing more. I wonder what does it use to create the shortcuts&c.

I have already been able to integrate Microsoft Update. Download the MUWEB CAB file from Microsoft. It contains the DLL file required for Microsoft Update. For integration into Windows, you must also import a datastore.ebd file. This has been placed in the attached SFX file.

For more information, see here.

I did already manage to find out that I needed to register the muweb_site activex however that is not enough since I have still to go through microsoft update website to have automatic updates point at that website instead of windows update :(

http://update.micros...lt.aspx?muopt=6 automatically configures microsoft update without welcome screens: it seems that it's invoking UpdateClient() method on the activex microsoftupdatewebcontrol object to configure everything however I still haven't managed to make a script that does the same job yet :(

Edited by Francesco, 10 May 2006 - 08:07 PM.

Super-Magician

Super-Magician

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Joined 15-January 06
Francesco, the file I attached does just that. It forces Automatic Updates/Internet Explorer to use Microsoft Update instead of Windows Update.

Posted Image
--------------------
Posted Image

Gee

Gee

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 31-October 03
You can install WGA via SVCPack.inf if you add this to your registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WGA\SP0\WGA]
"InstalledBy"="Administrator"
"InstalledDate"="03/02/2006"
"Type"="Update"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WGA\SP0\WGA\Filelist\0]
"BuildCheckSum"="95b21"
"BuildDate"="Tue Feb 14 05:02:38 2006"
"FileName"="LegitCheckControl.dll"
"Location"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32"
"Version"="1.5.512.0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ext\CLSID]
"{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}"="1"

The registry entries are courtesy of RyanVM

To install WGA Notification, I was only able to install it properly via RunOnceEx

Edited by Gee, 12 May 2006 - 01:29 AM.

Francesco

Francesco

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined 20-March 04

You can install WGA via SVCPack.inf if you add this to your registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WGA\SP0\WGA]
"InstalledBy"="Administrator"
"InstalledDate"="03/02/2006"
"Type"="Update"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WGA\SP0\WGA\Filelist\0]
"BuildCheckSum"="95b21"
"BuildDate"="Tue Feb 14 05:02:38 2006"
"FileName"="LegitCheckControl.dll"
"Location"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32"
"Version"="1.5.512.0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ext\CLSID]
"{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}"="1"

The registry entries are courtesy of RyanVM

To install WGA Notification, I was only able to install it properly via RunOnceEx

Are you sure that windows update works only with wga integrated that way?

Super-Magician

Super-Magician

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Joined 15-January 06
If you just use HFSLIP (see my signature), most, if not all, of your problems will be solved :).

HFSLIP can slipstream WGA into your install source. You won't have to use SVCPACK.inf or RunOnceEx or anything like that.

Posted Image
--------------------
Posted Image

bigfatroundguy

bigfatroundguy

• 44 posts
  • Joined 04-May 05
Francesco, your procedure worked perfectly for me. I even learned how to produce self-extracting installers using 7-Zip - I prefer to use this list of switches (/quiet /norestart /overwriteoem /nobackup) over your choice of (/passive) - but the same result is achieved.

the KB you cannot remember is KB892130 - this is the validation tool

You can also use the same technique to trap the notification hotfix (KB905474).

Thank you for this clear, concise suggestion

DarkShadows

DarkShadows

The brighter the light, the darker the shadows.

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 12-January 05
I'd like to encourage everyone reading this thread to also check out GUIDE: Download Everything Microsoft, a complete, step-by-step, how-to, which includes all of the most useful information contained in this thread you are currently reading, as well as information on some other closely related items that you should consider integrating into your XPCDs. Much of the linked guide's information has been discussed in other disparate MSFN Forums threads (like this one), but it is all brought together in one place along with new information not covered anywhere else on MSFN.

Guide Topics Include Integrating:

• Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435) - KB893803
  • Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications - KB905474
  • Windows Update Agent
  • Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool ActiveX Control - KB892130 (LegitCheckControl.cab)
  • Office Genuine Advantage Validation Tool ActiveX Control (OGAControl.cab)
  • Windows Update ActiveX Control (wuweb_site.cab)
  • Microsoft Update ActiveX Control (muweb_site.cab)
  • Office Update Installation Engine ActiveX Control (opuc4.cab)
  • Microsoft Update Catalog Internet ActiveX Control (MuCatalogWebControl.cab)

All of the above items are closely interrelated as it they all pertain to downloading Microsoft Software Updates to your Windows XP computer. In fact, many of the above items are so closely intertwined that some will not work correctly without the correct installation of others.
I'm still looking for that damned <Any> key!
Check Out My: Sysinternals Installer Builder | GUIDE: Download Everything Microsoft

midi2k6

midi2k6

Junior

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 30-November 04
I found the solutions, been looking for years... so easy to silent install (KB905474) WGA

I tested with latest version 1.9.0 (Mar 2009) WindowsXP_KB905474_x86, not sure the other versions.

Simple way, just download KB905474, extract it, delete everything and continue extract (wganotifypackageinner.exe)

Rename that folder if you want to, an example KB905474

Silent switch:
KB905474\update\update.exe /passive /norestart
Tips:
You can create SFX just like other silent apps, compress all files in KB905474 folder, the commands is:

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Setup=update\update.exe /passive /norestart
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

Problem:
There is only problem with windowsupdate always show but it is installed, you can test to validate here:
http://www.microsoft...?displaylang=en
It works

Edited by midi2k6, 26 March 2009 - 02:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users