Switchless installers?

RBCC

:hello: In the cmd file it says "HFSVCPack-switchless installers (to be installed at T-13) and the website it says to put them in the HFSVPK, what is the difference between the two methods? And what type of installer have to be done at T-13 and must be put into HFSVPK? John

The website has not been updated since Tomcat changed the names of the HFSVPK and HFSVPK_SW folders to the current names of HFSVCPACK and HFSVCPACK_SW, respectively.

Installers that do not require any switches (i.e. switchless installers) belong in HFSVCPACK. Installers that require the switches /Q:A /R:N belong in HFSVCPACK_SW. Anything placed in these two folders will be installed at T-13 with everything else in I386\SVCPACK. HFSLIP will automatically add the appropriate lines into SVCPACK.INF.

installed at T-13 is importand, because many explorer-functions are still not working at this time...

edit: nope, only the switches /Q:A /R:N (mediaplayer-install etc...pp)

Edited by murvun

At this point, it doesn't really matter whether you use the old or the new names. It's only a problem if you use both. HFSLIP renames the old folders but that function is going to be removed over time.

HFSVPK *or* HFSVCPACK: switchless installers

HFSVPK_SW *or* HFSVCPACK_SW: programs to be installed with the /Q:A /R:N switches plus WMP10

Edited by Tomcat76

I put the RyanMV's switchless programs and Tweak UI in HFSVCPACK, and MPsetup.exe in HFSVCPACK_SW. How do you tell what program is switchless?

Is it correct to assume that most exe's go into HFSVCPACK_SW?

FDV says that (in HFSVCPACK) "you can only use INF files that have a "DefaultInstall" section". There are a couple of Power Toys I'd like to include that have it. Do you have to include their dll files as well?

If you setup a HFSLIP\SOURCE\$OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32 folder, would that take care of the Power toys?

Thanks

Edited by PVU

How do you tell what program is switchless?
Other than simply double-clicking the file to see if it installs you rely on the maker telling you it's a (silent) switchless installer.
Is it correct to assume that most exe's go into HFSVCPACK_SW?
Not really. It's for Microsoft Type 2 hotfixes; I don't know of other programs that can be installed with the /Q:A /R:N switches.
FDV says that (in HFSVCPACK) "you can only use INF files that have a "DefaultInstall" section". There are a couple of Power Toys I'd like to include that have it. Do you have to include their dll files as well?
It would work if only the INF file is involved. If all files should end up in the WINDOWS/WINNT folder (or a subfolder of it), you should use HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN. Anything that's to end up in the WINDOWS/WINNT folder should go in HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN. You can add folders into it (like SYSTEM32)... even folders that are not created by Windows setup (like Media\BLAHBLAH). The files you put there are copied into the I386 folder (so make sure the file names are unique); the setup installation file is updated to tell Windows setup where all the files should go. Place the installation INF in HFSVCPACK.
If you setup a HFSLIP\SOURCE\$OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32 folder, would that take care of the Power toys?
You can use HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32 instead. Edited by Tomcat76

TC, many thanks. You set me straight on switch issue. I think I need to get with the theme of the project - slipping hotfixes. Until your explanation, I thought HFSVCPACK_SW was there to slip in any program.

This will be my first go (I've been itching to do it), so I'll go real simple at first, and then look to get (HFEXPERT) creative on my second try. BTW, your Windows 2000 updates for use with HFSLIP was great. I just replaced the Malicious Software Removal Tool and the KB902400.

welcome to HFSLIP PVU! :)

there are so many things you could do with the power of HFSLIP ...

certainly you'd encounter bumps along the way so i'd suggest reading through the different threads ... most of what i've learned are from constantly posting issues/concerns ...

HFSLIP people are very supportive (Tomcat76, tommyp, Super-Magician, FDV to name a few ...)!

before delving into the HFEXPERT feature, to quote tommyp (this was what he told me before) ...

One step at a time. Get your hfslip structure working properly first.
Edited by Kiki Burgh

RBCC - HFSLIP takes care of the base OS. It's up to you for applications. If you are using an OEM structure, just be sure to use a winnt.sif file to copy the stuff over. But to answer your Q, yes you can use your OEM structure.