Keeping Icons intact on desktop

TerryFox

Hi ... I have seen a tweak somewhere but I can't remember from where now , I just reformat my computer , I had this option under the " My Computer " It was a tweak or something , Any ways it would keep the icons on my desktop from moving around , It would lock them in the place they were set at , Does anyone know of such thing ? Thanks

BTW I know about the setting "arrange icons by" I'm not interest in that setting , What I want is a add on tweak under the my computer area

• 3 weeks later...

In Windows 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP you can lock down the position of the Desktop icons using a couple of files from the MS Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit [5 KB, free, unsupported].

Place Layout.dll in %windir%\System (Win95/98/ME) or %systemroot%\System32 (WinNT/2000/XP) and then double-click on Layout.reg.

From now on, whenever you right-click on the "Recycle Bin" or "My Computer" icons, you can see a new option: "Save [or Restore] Desktop Icon Layout".

There are several 3rd party tools that also do this, but these files are free and only 14 KB in size."

http://www.nthelp.com/proggy/layout.zip