HFSLIP icon librarys

Bugs Bunny

That is a tougher question to answer than you would think. I will try to keep it the same but there are a few scenarios that would cause it to change. This is probably a better link and can be considered perm as long as the file name doesn't change. I'll leave that up to Electrician.

EDIT: link removed.

Refer to first post.

Edited by TAiN

...a better link and can be considered perm as long as the file name doesn't change. I'll leave that up to Electrician.

It may yet require a tweak or two (don't think so but you never know) but unless Bugs Bunny makes updated icl files I don't see why the name would need to change - or even then?

I am thinking about making a NON silent version for post installs that would show a description page with credit to those where credit is due. (This ain't my baby, I just helped!) Should I? Bugs?

:blushing:

BUG YES, PUTS EXPLORER.ICL IN ROOT NOT WIN DIR, FIXED.

UNINSTALL WOULD FAIL (ATTEMPTING REG ADD BEFORE DEL) FIXED.

FINAL (ahem) VER2 ON ITS WAY. Sorry about that, but I think it is safely no longer Beta. :whistle:

I have tested several ways on several machines now. Also added comments and ver number (2.10)

to info in add/remove.

Edited by Electrician

The new version has been uploaded. The link has not changed.

@Electrician: I changed the filename from mixed case to lower case to match the old file/link (linux server).

EDIT: link removed.

Refer to first post.

Edited by TAiN

That latest version that TAiN has hyperlinked still doesn't work. Perhaps it's because my installed system only has two folders in my Program Folders directory (yes this is due to my HFCLEANUP). The two folders I have are the common files and windows media player.

It appears that if there is a missing folder, the files won't copy over, and the INF fails when it is run because it can't find the files. I ran into bad INFs when developing hfslip. If any line in the installation INF is bad, the entire INF won't run. Is there a way to put all the ICL files into the %windir% directory instead of scattered all over the place?

Would be very easy. I just placed them where Bugs had put them originally.

System Directory or it's own (maybe under programs?) which would be preferred?

As for not installing - the inf should create the dir's. Looking into it... <back from testing>

AH HA! The DIR ID's in the inf do not translate on all machines. Will switch back to older code

for Root drive and set path from there. (tested on machine where it failed). now FIXED

The machine where it worked (the one where I bothered to check all the files) has had SO many things installed - I do not know where to look. Guess it is moot point since the changed inf works always.

Anywho, before I send this one up, can I get a vote as to where the files should go?

(I SWEAR I will test this for add/remove on a vanilla W2k install before I let it go)

Electrician - I kind of prefer to have the ICLs in the %windir% folder and nowhere else. I don't like widows in scattered folders. hehe. BTW, Bugs has a link to TAiN's link on the first post of this thread. The main HFSLIP link has a hyperlink to this thread too. I think we're covered.... Thanks for your exe help with this.

Electrician - I kind of prefer to have the ICLs in the %windir% folder and nowhere else. I don't like widows in scattered folders. hehe. BTW, Bugs has a link to TAiN's link on the first post of this thread. The main HFSLIP link has a hyperlink to this thread too. I think we're covered.... Thanks for your exe help with this.

You're welcome. Just trying to contribute.

OK. I have sent TAiN the new version (2.20) which does the following;

Installs ALL ICL files into c:\winnt

Updates the Menu Shortcuts (for all users) for Paint, WordPad, System Information, NTBackup, and

Internet Connection Wizard.

This means when (if) you uninstall it also restores those shorcuts to their default. If you have removed those programs from your build then you get "pretty" XP icons for programs you don't have (so they don't work) - or if uninstalling - you get shortcuts with the ugly white box that also do not work.

On a vanilla system it works for every frappen type I could check before/during/after the install-uninstall cycles. If the menu changes upset you guys, I can remake without - or you can extract the contents and mod the inf yourself. It could be changed to REMOVE those shortcuts when installing. Also, you could change the string var SYSROOT if you install to something other than WINNT.

I'm still having problems with this. Maybe I'm just being dumb or something, but I'd like it to be easy for noobs to use. Upon review of the INF in the exe file, would it be OK to change the %SYSROOT% to %SystemRoot%?

I'm still having problems with this. Maybe I'm just being dumb or something, but I'd like it to be easy for noobs to use. Upon review of the INF in the exe file, would it be OK to change the %SYSROOT% to %SystemRoot%?

I created SYSROOT because it applies to keys that are NOT of the REG_EXPAND_SZ type.

You can not use %SystemRoot% in a reg type of REG_SZ it will not expand.

It is possible to mod the inf so that it (re)creates keys that are orignaly REG_SZ to be the expansion type - but they do not allways work. To avoid potential problems I stuck with the orignal type for the vast majority of the reg keys. To save myself some typing - and to make it easier to change the "fixed" location

for those keys - I used a local variable SYSROOT.

So what problem are you having? If you have not (or were unable to) remove a prev ver, delete the

xpicons.inf from the winnt\inf folder before installing this newest ver. If your problem is in the slipstreaming then ??? It works as a silent switchless on a running 2k box. ed- btw in your post you said hfsvcpack_SW - this doesn't require switches.

Edited by Electrician

:lol: All these unworking versions are really funny from my perspective....no offense to anyone.

I threw together an updated command file from what I could decipher from the infs; since tommyp seems to be enjoying testing all these, maybe he can inform me if it works or not? :P Untested, so have fun. :thumbup

May 24 2006: http://www3.rapidupload.com/d.php?file=dl&filepath=11445

:lol: All these unworking versions are really funny from my perspective....no offense to anyone.

None taken, considering the source.

:I threw together an updated command file from what I could decipher from the infs;

Glad my "unworking" inf could be of some help to you.

@TommyP

I have only tested (so far) on running w2k systems, so..

I put a copy of the 2.2 ver (renamed to xpicons.exe) into the svcpack folder of my last sourcess build, and

added the exe name into svcpack.inf. I do not use the reduction capabilitys, so this disk has everything

that M$ entended and more. Doing the install now. ed- Finised. Icons good, menu items good.

Uninstall worked, but it took a log off/on to get the network places, recycle bin and the icons on the main start menu to refresh.

The recycle bin now has a 'paper with windows logo' (default for unknown) icon. Yet it is a working recycle bin.

Ah ha - seems the (resore of) EMPTY had a Mistype in the inf (had .icl instead of .dll) Fixed. While I was looking at this, I discovered a small error carried over from the original REG files. It was the icon shown in the "alert" window when you choose to delete trashed contents.

Should I bother uploading ver 2.21, or are you all sick of it?

Ya Kramy, we gotta laugh - or go nuts.

Edited by Electrician