HFSLIP icon librarys

Bugs Bunny

Actually, I have a dumb request, unless it's there already and it never worked right. Bugs's first ICL swap (about 3 months ago), had some nice icons adjacent to the shutdown and logoff on the start menu. Is this part of this pack too? And yes, I'd like to continue testing because it would be nice if noobs can use this error-free. If it matters, I do not have my %windir% named winnt. I have mine named something else.

Actually, I have a dumb request, unless it's there already and it never worked right. Bugs's first ICL swap (about 3 months ago), had some nice icons adjacent to the shutdown and logoff on the start menu. Is this part of this pack too? And yes, I'd like to continue testing because it would be nice if noobs can use this error-free. If it matters, I do not have my %windir% named winnt. I have mine named something else.

I will send up (over?) 2.21 now. The red not symbol, etc like on XP? Yes they are there.

And YES, if you use a dif directory than winnt, it will cause problem.

I include a cmd file in the pkg (that isn't run because I couldn't get iexpress to do it) that would have added a line to the inf to set the SYSROOT to whatever you are using. I had to settle for setting to the default loc.

For the slip, just del the last line in the inf that sets SYSROOT and append a correct one (like in the cmd file). then it will install in the right place. Guess I didn't make that clear enough.

sorry.

And thanks for all the testing.

@ Electrician

I discovered a small error carried over from the original REG files

Not sure if you have already but, could you let Bugs Bunny know of any errors so that he can update the files that he provides. I am still using his original method. Sorry, but I kind of like to see what is happening (outside of an executable).

@squeeto

You are right, should have. Didn't because it is such a small thing.

When you choose to empty the trash bin and you get the "Are you sure?" box - it has an icon that would normally be a folder/document with red exclamation mark.

This is the recycle bin sweeper icon, normaly iconindex -33. Bugs used 32 (Full trashbin)

the -33 works just fine with his shell32.icl.

INFO:

A 32 is the 33rd icon from the start of the icl (starts from 0)

I once read on a M$ page (somewhere) that a minus means to use the (in this case) 33rd System Icon.

Near as I can figure it, the icons are grouped into sets, and each set can have different sizes and color depths so that whatever depth/size the user has - they get the right version of the "same" icon.

Using a minus seems to tell it to use a special group. eg; if you counted the icons in shell32.icl based on what you see when you "change icon", there are 237 icons (SETS) the last icon type you see is the one we want - but there are 5 sets and the 1st set has icon 33 (the 1st is icon #233 which has two icons - #32 & #33 in 4 and 8 bit color 32x32)

SnIco is a great program to "see this". btw it seems the internal ico count goes to 127 then starts a 0 again, so maybe the 2nd set of ico's is the "system" set?

A LOOOONG search of M$ nobase did yeild this bit of info: "Notice that you can also use the resource ID to identify an icon within an executable module. If the specified index is a negative number, the shell automatically interprets it as a resource ID and attempts to locate the icon whose resource ID equals the modulus of the index. For example, mylib.dll,-204 points to the icon with a resource ID of 204."

Edited by Electrician

TommyP: Just use the bloody command file! :lol:

It takes into account everything you guys wanted, except uninstalling. It works for any windows dir, sticks all icl files in the SAME FOLDER as the exe's or dll's, and registers them appropriately wherever they might be(including those hard to find Program Files\Blah\Blah\Blah\Blah.exe ones). Do you really think you're going to be uninstalling these? New command files can be applied right over old ones, and why would anyone go back to the default icons? :blink:

On a totally unrelated note...I got a razer copperhead yesterday, and I found a way to install it without ANY memory overhead! Go me! :thumbup

...and why would anyone go back to the default icons?

Not everyone loves XP icons (so most wouldn't use) but having the ability to restore native win2k might encourage some to try them, that otherwise wouldn't. Besides, not EVERYTHING is wrapped around using TommyP/TomCats slipstream. SOME people might actually have a NON slipped install where they want to try the icl files. But as for slippng them - why not just drop the icl files and run the reg during slip, if you want them permanently installed?

btw has anyone tried XPize after installing the icl+reg? Does XPize restore the pointers to the icl or does it even care? Guess it uses file hacks to the resources in the pe files, so may be moot point - just wondering.

Not everyone loves XP icons (so most wouldn't use) but having the ability to restore native win2k might encourage some to try them, that otherwise wouldn't.

Ahh, fair enough.

But as for slippng them - why not just drop the icl files and run the reg during slip, if you want them permanently installed?
The reg files don't stick the .icl files where I want them, and don't adapt to changing folder names.

F:\Win2k

D:\Programs and Apps

:lol:

btw has anyone tried XPize after installing the icl+reg? Does XPize restore the pointers to the icl or does it even care? Guess it uses file hacks to the resources in the pe files, so may be moot point - just wondering.

XPize is not yet Win2k compatible, so it's a moot point anyway. ;)

Here's some feedback from my fiasco getting the icon pack to install. The problem with my ultra light installation was that I was missing some of the EXEs that are specified in the access/utilities folder. I guess that if the INF can't "see" these files, then the INF fails silently. My workaround was to use Electrician's INF, but I had to modify it a bit. It installs like a charm... I put the ICLs in the hfexpert/win and the INF in the hfexpert/codecs and all is great. If there is a need or demand for my modded inf, I'll forward it to Tain so he can host it up.

...The problem with my ultra light installation was that I was missing some of the EXEs that are specified in the access/utilities folder. I guess that if the INF can't "see" these files, then the INF fails silently....

ULTRA LITE? The INF shouldn't care you have them - it would create reg entries anyway. But you got me curious, I will download for a look-see. Or do you mean you don't use all the ICL's? That would mean reg entries for icons that are avail... off to DL. (This learning thing just never stops....)

The reg files don't stick the .icl files where I want them, and don't adapt to changing folder names.

F:\Win2k

D:\Programs and Apps

You running multiple OS's or is there some benefit to splitting your OS and Programs directories?

I did that once between Win98se an 2k - got to be more than a pain.

XPize is not yet Win2k compatible, so it's a moot point anyway. ;)

Could not determine if that was the case or not, it installs (sort of) under 2k - but it did seem to make the system a bit wonky and I had removed it soon after. Always thought WHY would you need XPize if you are RUNNING XP. It is all just curtain dressing anyway.....(2k rules!)

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but it's with the intention to achieve an icon set.

From what I gather, Neptune is supposed to look like Windows 2000. Does anyone know if it has *more* icons in the Windows 2000 style which would complement an icon library to make Windows XP/2003 look like Windows 2000?