Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

/b switch for start command

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

comomolo

comomolo

• 34 posts
  • Joined 26-July 03
Hi guys,

If you, like me, use a bunch of cmd files instead of a big one, you might find it interesting to add the /b switch to the start command. This makes all the cmd files to be executed in the same window. Otherwise, everytime you start an external cmd file you'll get a new window opened.

Just in case: /wait can also be put as /w, which saves some typing... :-)

Regards to everyone.

CM

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
I find that quite risky... several setup applications running at the same time are bound to conflict into each other

comomolo

comomolo

• 34 posts
  • Joined 26-July 03
Maybe I expressed myself not so well...

These are not many setups running together but in sequence (I still use the /wait command switch!!!).

The reason why I'm doing things like this is because I administer a few PCs from the family so I have folders containing all what is required for installing any single program or driver, and depending on what anyone wants I put inside the $OEM$\$1 folder only what is needed. All these folders have inside an install.cmd file containing the silent installation commands for that particular software or driver. So I don't have to remember everytime what are the switches.

The main.cmd file will call sequentially all the install.cmd files inside all the folders and that makes it very simple. But if I don't use the /b switch after start, I'll get a new window opened, that's the only thing I want to avoid, so my start commands look like this:

start /b /w

Regards,

CM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users