HELP!!!! sTART UP wITH dsl PPOE crap slowing me way down..

XPerties

OK....all my peeps its time to help me. This is the sitution:

Transfered over to a high end DSL connection from cable. Now they had me add a new net work with there settings and placed a icon on my desktop. Now to connect to them I have to double click this icon and it connects. The promblem is when you boot XP its looking for a connection so I went from about 25sec of booting to now around 3-4 min becuase it doesnt have a connection. I asked thme about DSL suppose to be [b:990473c838]ON ALL THE TIME[/b:990473c838] and they said thats correct but they cant help me because there dum asses and dont 100% support XP. So anyone have any suggestion where I will atomatically connect during boot up?

-XPerties

....but you might change your logon to the old windows 200 style (ctrl alt del) and then check the logon using dial up networking and select the 'dsl dialer' as the default.

Other than that - i will give some more thought. also - try the forums at www.dslreports.com --- they have very deep knowledge of these types of issues

LS

Modem is a Efficient Networks Inc. Speedstream DSL Modem. My provider is Epix.net (also know as Jackflash)..........and whats OA/OE? This connection is based around PPOE...If thats what you mean by OE/OA.

lIKE i SAID BECAUSE xp LOOKS FOR A CONNECTION DURING BOOT UP IT TAKES NOW ABOUT 3 MIN FOR IT TO RELIZE, bUT ONCE IT RELIZES IT DOESNT HAVE A CONNECTION THEN IT CONT. TO BOOT UP. [b:3f41e88f7d]Dam Capps[/b:3f41e88f7d]Now as soon as i push the IE button to connect to the internet it atomaticaly connects and stays connected. Its just boot up blows.

-XPerties

I know this is generic, but here is what I used to have and it worked for me. Now I just use my router and I'm connected asap.

Setup DSL in XP:

1. Click the Start button.

2. Click on Control Panel.

3. Double click on Network Connections.

4. Click on the Create a new connection link on the left.

5. Click the Next button.

6. Choose Connect to the internet.

7. Click the Next button.

8. Choose Setup my connection manually.

9. Click the Next button.

10. Choose Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password.

11. Click the Next button.

12. Type anything you want to name the connection in the ISP Name box (ex: epix.net, etc).

13. Click the Next button.

14. Type in your username in the User name box & type in your password in both the Password & Confirm Password boxes.

15. Check the two boxes at the bottom for 'Use this account name & password when anyone connects...' & 'Make this the default connection...' if you desire.

16. Click the Next button.

17. If you would like a shortcut to your DSL connection on your Windows desktop, place a check in the Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop box.

18. Click the Finish button.

19. Click the Connect button to connect to your DSL.

Tell me how it goes, but LS_Dragons said, the best support for DSL is at dslreports.com

Thats exzactly what I did......and thats where Im at. I can connect but my promblem lys in the bootup looking for a connection....(programs...dns2go, messenger, I think thats it. ) Im going to try to disable them and see if this will help.

-XPerties

Thas some strange a** s***! A dsl connection ...that you have to connect to! :WTF?:

If disabling those programs dont work...try seting up some tyoe of auto connect proram, i dont know if that will help the load up speed, as it load the program after login

sorry i couldent be of more help

-drew

Yah Elite I thought about doing that and that didnt work either....hehe...I know theres a promblem with PPOE connections with XP and Ive ran across it before but I seem to not be able to find it now.dammit!...oH Well I guess I can go make a sandwich while its loading up.

-XPerties

Go back to cable. I don't know about in PA but in MA DSL blows.

There is no always on DSL in my area. They will tell you it is but it is not.

One way DSL, you can go out but you can't come in, so no Pcanywhere or static IP for FTP.

Lame arse Verzion.

HAHA....[b:d1fc12f135]gruffpuppy[/b:d1fc12f135]...Cable blows here. Dam upload speeds dont go over 15kb/s and downloads suck half the time. I went with DSL because they were reliable and Im now running a connection speed that is = to a T1. tRUST ME GOING BACK TO CABLE FOR ME WOULD BE LIKE GOING BACK TO 28.8 DIAL UP. Thanks anyways!

And as far as FTP just run a dns2go and youll never have to worrie about that. I would rather my IP change all the time and not stay the same. I can get in and my upload speed is now around 96-101kb/s

-XPerties

Hey XPerties - did you try changing the logon to logon with dial up networking? Just curious if you did and whether it made a diff. When I want to logon to my work network - I do that (i can do it after boot up but prefer starting in the network) and it lets me choose the connection - I am choosing a VPN - but should let you select the DSL 'dialer' as well. Just curious about some of the solutions my warped mind comes up with and whether they might work....

LS

Sure - I will give it a shot anyway. I am not sure from the posts whether your DSL 'connection app' is a dialer or not so this may not work. But what you want to do is go into My Network Places - then click "View Network Connections". You should then be anle to "Create a new Connection" -- UNLESS your DSL Connection already shows up. If it does, forget about the next step. Go through the create new connection wizard and hopefully you will be able to use the DSL 'dialer' to make the connection.

Now change 'the way users log on' to the old Win2K style (Ctrl-Alt-Del). You will have a check box that says log on using Dial Up Networking. Check that box and when you log on a Choice List of 'Connections' will pop up. Choose the DSL Connection you just made and it should 'activate' the DSL and then finish logging you on.

My setup was a bit different cause I am using VPN and have to put in Domain/Username info and stuff, so I am guessing about some of this stuff - but won't hurt to give it a shot.

Hope it makes a bit of sense ----- LS

Ok now I hit ctrl/alt/del but where do I choose the win2k logg in or 'the way users log on' ......Im not finding any way to change this under the task manager.

-XPerties

I do think your on to something:D