• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tomcat76

USP5.1 not fully slipstreamed

9 posts in this topic

Hi.

I'm currently working on support for USP5.1 in HFSLIP. The problem I'm experiencing is that not all binaries seem to be slipstreamed into the source. I noticed this after Windows setup complained about 12 missing files.

After a file-by-file comparison between the original source, the slipstreamed source and the folder in which USP5.1 was extracted, I saw that 413 new files were missing in the slipstreamed source. That was with the December release.

I downloaded the newest version and tried it again, but the updated source was missing 414 files (ie, it got worse).

This is the relevant code I use to extract the service pack:

MD SPEX\i386
FOR /F %%I IN ('DIR/B HF\w2ksp5*.exe') DO START/WAIT HF\%%I /Q /X:SPEX\

That works. All files are in SPEX\i386. But then I do this to slipstream it into the source:

START/WAIT SPEX\i386\update\update.exe -u -n -o -q -s:"%~dp0SOURCE\"

After the slipstream is complete, not all new binaries are in the slipstreamed source (eg, faxdrv.dl_).

I read the FAQ and saw that you only list the /integrate method as a way to embed it into a Win2K source but that gets me the same result. I also tried to slipstream it outside of HFSLIP (standalone batch file) with equal results.

What could be wrong?

System: Win2K SP4 English; logged on as Administrator.

Thanks.

Edited by Tomcat76

More info here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...91entry512091

Something got broke somewhere along the line. I know that windows has built-in protections against malicious scripts. I once built a script that deleted random folders, and windows wouldn't let it execute(as an admin) on my system drive unless it had created the folders first. :lol:

I'm guessing that some change in folder structure is the leading cause of the filecopy errors, but figuring out just what will be more of a challenge.

My CD-copy missing files:

faxdrv.dll

hid.dll

mf.sys

parallel.sys

parport.sys

sonydcam.sys

ktkrnlpa.exe

mouhid.sys

mouclass.sys

And once in windows...the list goes on. :whistle:

In addition to those you list, I got these copy errors too (and twice):

- win32k.sys

- winsrv.dll

- ntkrpamp.exe

I didn't move on after the first reboot because I figured it wouldn't make sense.

As I said above, I ran a batch with three simple lines (outside of HFSLIP) and it still happened so it's nothing HFSLIP does that screws things up.

Your folder theory is interesting. I'll test some more....

Well... I tried just about everything. Renamed folders, disabled AV,... Nothing seems to help. At one point I even slipstreamed with just the -s switch. You know what's strange? Slipstreaming takes only about 6 seconds... and then the dialog box appears that the SP was slipstreamed successfully (this only appears when the extra switches are removed, of course).

Edited by Tomcat76

Yes, it's resolved. I got side tracked by the fact that 414 new files don't end up in the slipstreamed source, which appears to be normal.

False alarm, hehe... :P

<offtopic>Kramy... Your links never work for me. Are you using a custom board layout? The last one for example goes to page 41 but post #600 is on page #40 here...</offtopic>

No custom board layout, but I do use the old system. After they "upgraded" the layouts and reduced the number of posts per page, I flipped it back up to 30/page, and turned on the old display method.

MSFN has flakey connections to me - half the time pages don't load(their server forgets to send data :blink: ), so I try to get as much stuff going as possible. Often I have to reload links several times to get it to send data. Funny part though is my bandwidth usage rarely ever passes 10% when loading MSFN pages, and I can load other sites at the same time no problem. :whistle:

Ahh well, it's related to MS. I bet they use Windows Server 2003 or something like that. :yes:

Double phew!

I saw this topic and got scared for a moment. :o

My approach has always been to apply the usp to my "virgin <ya right>" source and then use slip to add security (since usp release date) and other things. Of course I then add the usp cats and exe back to svcpack - .inf and dir.

Has always worked like a charm. Now I gotta have a beer... :whistle: