Problems with Server 2003 as a desktop

K i got it installed after a lot of hassle on 2 200gb maxtor IDE raid 0 setup. And ive followed the convert server to desktop sticky, and it keeps saying that it cant detect a sound card. Im using the built in audio, ECS NF4 soc 754 motherboard. and i cant get ie explorer to work, i installed IE 7 beta and it installed fine but i cant find it or use it anywhere.

Server 2003 is very fussy about Sound card drivers, i had lots of problems even with the AC97 Built in sound, first check that you have started the windows Audio Service. and then download the specific drivers and install them manually.

as for IE it should still be in Program Files\Internet Explorer. You could just do a search for iexplore.exe

in program files/internet explorer there are 2 folders, connection wizard which is empty and MUI which has afolder called 0409 in it and that has a file called mscorier.dll and thats it. and when i try to update the drivers for then sound, it says there is an error and it cant finish, that the data is invalid.

One way i managed to succesfully get an audio driver working was i had XP installed on the same drive in dual boot, i loaded up XP and pulled the audio drivers from that and then manually installed them on 2k3.

have you checked your event viewer to see if there are any errors in there that could be causing the audio drivers not to install.

As far as I know, there are three (3) version of IE7 B2

There is a 32 bit XP version, a Windows Server 2003 32 bit version,

and a combined 64bit XP & server 2003 version.

Did you get the correct one ?????

:hello:

Ok i got ie7 installed, it just decided to work this time.... hellifiknow what its problem was. but it works. now any ideas how to get my sound to work? in the device manager it has the yellow ! on multimedia audio controller. and there is also an unknown device with one under other devices. But i have a super nice 5.1 surround sound system, and i cant use it :( help me!!!!! please? :D

ok and i just tried to install updates through windows update. there was like 137 mb worth, and i hit download and it comes up for a sec says its downloading the first, then within 10 sec or so it says failed and all the others come up saying failed. whats up with that????

Edited by Wnxsnowman

Its an ecs nf4 motherboard with built in 6 ch audio. and device manager has several items under audio, but the one that says Multimedia audio controller has the yellow exclaimation point on it. the others say they are fine.

Go to the motherboard website and download the drivers for the audio card. That yellow exclamation is telling you there is a problem, more than likely a driver issue. Double click on it to find out what the problem is.

Its an ecs nf4 motherboard with built in 6 ch audio. and device manager has several items under audio, but the one that says Multimedia audio controller has the yellow exclaimation point on it. the others say they are fine.

when you double click it it says the drivers are not installed and to click reinstall drivers to fix it, so i do and try several different driver sets and it trys installing for a sec and then says it cant install because the data is invalid...

I installed Acronis OS Selector on server 2003 desktop conversion. After the reboot, it bluescreens and keeps rebooting and bluescreen etc. I used the recovery console and used the FIXMBR command. It wrote a new MBR and everything was fine again. I then immediately uninstalled OS selector. Piece of crap! From what i read on other forums, this demo of os selector does this on XP as well.