Setup on reboot loop

Do you have integrated additional SATA drivers? This problem occurs, if you don't have integrated the SATA drivers in a right way or if you try to add them from a disk while performing an unattended setup.

I suggest to disable the automatic restart, when a BSOD occurs, with the following regkey:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl]
"AutoReboot"=dword:00000000

Edited by Doc Symbiosis

Do you mean it keeps booting from the cd every time? This happened to me when I disabled "press any key to boot from cd" message.

If it keeps booting from cd everytime, remove the cd after turning your pc on and put it in when gui setup has a cd error and asks you to put it in.

@doc How do you apply a regtweak when you can't go into gui mode?

Here is what happens:

I insert the cd into my cd-rom drive. It boots into text mode. It installs perfectly fine and restarts the computer. When it reboots, it says "press any key to boot from cd", which I don't do. I go to a blue screen (not BSOD) and it looks like its loading up the GUI. But, it just spontaneously restarts. This time it comes up with the splash screen with "Windows XP" in the corner and says, "Setup is now restarting.....................", goes to the initial blue screen, restarts and does it again.

I don't have any integrated SATA drivers, so it isn't that.

Ah, I get it.

Is there any way to flash or reinstall your bios in 16bit mode by booting from a cd?

Why don't you try a bartpe cd and a bios flasher and see if that helps?

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Just in case you don't know, bartpe makes a windows cd or dvd that allows you to boot directly into 32bit windows. So no installation or any crap, though the whole windows dir is on the cd. It creates a ramdrive, so you should have at leat 256mb ram.

And it's a great emergency bootdisk.

Or it could be hdd corruption and there are errors reading off it. If it is, you'll have to format again.

Edited by T D