CD too big

smedley

XPCreate slipstreaming has created a CD image thta's too big to write. Over the last few days the image seems have to got too big.

Is there a simple way to reduce it?

I suppose I could lose some drivers but it's hard to know which or how.

In fact I'd like to add some SATA drivers and so far have failed.

removing printer drivers from your source would save you about 20mb)

you could even remove all drivers from windows and instead use driverpacks... saves you even more :P)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, thanks. Took a little working out but the marvellous nLite came to the rescue and I'm down to about 350MB now.

At the same time I discovered the CDTYPE=DVD flag in XPCreate.ini but the extra settings from nLite more than make up for the finding of it.

Unfortunatly, adding .NET Framework II to the install also put my ISO over the CD size, albeit just barely. I have written a few script to delete the unneeded CMPNTS, VALUEADD and SUPPORT directories from the local copy of the source files, and will include them in the next update. Even then, there is no room for additional software, and anything more than a bare install almost requires a DVD.

As for the SATA drivers, I have assembled what I think is a working collection of drivers, and will also be posting that in the next few days, if you would like to try again. Exactly which SATA devices are you using? Do you have a link to the download?

As for nLite ... be careful that neither nLite nor XPCREATE overwite files modified by the other. XPCREATE only modifies SVCPACK.INF, DOSNET.INF, and TXTSETUP.SIF if SATA drivers are included. I, of course, think that XPCREATE should be run first ... That way I can blame the other guy!