Connected, but not

Okay, my computer for some reason isnt connecting to the internet. Im on my mom's and its connected from the same router and everything. But on my computer, it says the Local Area Connection is connected, and 6 packets are sent, and 0 received, adn thats it. It still has the Duration Time running of it being connected. I tried a new NIC card, and new cable, restarting both router and modem. Changed ports in the router. and i go to the support tab in the Local Area Connection 2 and all the IP information is blank. When i click repair, and windows pops up saying....

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:

Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed.

any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Taken from here...

http://www.bangsar.net/mt-archives/000279.html

Problem:

Can't connect to the network. Your connection says you are connected, but no packets go through at all. Your connection's "Connection Status" info does not show anything about your IP address. Clicking on Repair gives you "Failed to query TCP/IP settings" or something like that.

Solution:

Restart your PC into Safe Mode with Networking.

Edit your registry. Delete the following keys:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Winsock2

Open the nettcpip.inf file in your %winroot%/inf folder (%winroot% is usually c:/windows).

Find the [MS_TCPIP.PrimaryInstall]section. Change the Characteristics value from 0xA0 to 0x80.

Open the properties of the network connection you want to fix. In the General tab, click on the Install button. Click on the Have Disk button, and point the location to %winroot%/inf. After that select TCP/IP (not version 6).

Now you would notice that you can uninstall TCP/IP! Do that, then restart the PC.

Go back to your network connection, and install TCP/IP again as per the above. After another reboot, you should be up and running.

Hope it helps you....

Before going through all of that I would check your TCP/IP settings. If your network is DHCP, make sure you are getting an IP automatically. If static, make sure you have the right subnet, mask, gateway, and dns (most of that is reported by the router)

If those options are set for your network I would then check the cabling. Might have a loose jack or a short.

Then try that safe mode stuff :)

Edited by TAiN