What is your favorite Anti-Malware application?

What is your favorite Anti-Malware application?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Anti-Malware application?

• Windows Defender
    • Ad-Aware
    • Spybot S&D
    • ewido
    • About:Buster
    • CWShredder
    • HijackThis
    • Spyware Blaster
    • My professional tech mind
    • A combination of the above (Please post)
    • None of the above
    • All of the above

am i the only one only trusting on common sence.....

You may trust your own common sense. I certainly trust mine. I hardly ever have any sort of firewall or antispyware running since it all seems to take up too RAM, particularly when I'm using hogs like VMware or Visual Studio 2005. However, I am assuming that others here set up computers either for family or professionally. As much common sense as my family has and as well educated as they all are, "common sense" in the area of the Internet is not so common after all. And as far as a work environment goes, you'd be derelict to not provide the protection.

anti-malware:

- PCTools Spyware Doctor

- Sunbelt CounterSpy

- Ewido anti-spyware

- Kaspersky anti-virus

- HijackThis

protection:

- Spybot Search & Destroy

- Lavasoft Ad-Aware Personal

- Windows Defender

- "full DEP"

- AVG Free Edition or Avast!

On my PC, I just use AVG and Opera in terms of "protection". I've been online since 1999 and only experienced two boot sector viruses that came in through Outlook Express a long time ago. The programs listed above come from personal experience when cleaning up other people's PCs.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a combination of the above as well. I also found a significant reduction by using Firefox insteead of IE. I also tend to do more surfing using one of my Win200 boxes instead of my WinXP. It seems the hackers are not targeting 200 machines as much any more.

Iv'e had the odd false positive with most of whats listed, used them all

plus others not listed like spy sweeper,, currently using A-Squared free,

so far so good, no false positives & no nasties lurking in my machine..

• 3 weeks later...

I got the Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware installed, but some weeks ago I install the Kaspersky Internet Security and it works great, got Antispyware, Firewall, Antivirus etc.. protection and no make that my system be slowly. Try it is a usuful program.

:w00t:

I tried them all... Now I'm using Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, BlackIce, CM DiskCleaner, EasyCleaner, Power Defrag, Reg Mechanic, and FP Win... and Eraser, is on the desktop as a last resort... Extreme Caution with Eraser!.. It's a POWERFUL tool, not a toy, it can kill your OS faster than you can say "oops"... Use it as a last resort, for when your PC has been hit by a bug you can't clean out, nor recover from...

I just dumped Norton AVS, and snapped the CD in half, after I found it's protect feature shutdown by some outside force, for the third time.. I've had ENOUGH of that garbage!.. Strike three, Yer OUT!

This "FP Win" seems to actually work like it says on the label.. and it found two nasty little bugs that all the others didn't.. plus it's fast and easy for scanning floppies... I'm almost ready to purchase the CD... Finally an AVS that really works...

P.S.: When I click on "Add Reply" in this forum.. I get "You do not have permission to post in this forum"... Maybe I was bad in another life?.. I get in with "Quote" only...

Edited by KingAuther

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I only use NOD32 and it protects my PC to perfection. Only twice there is a case of BHO (malware) and HijackThis worked very well for this, the BHO's also come when i don't have the NOD32.

I think you don't need any other Anti-Malware because they take too much system resources and also doesn't provide protection against all threats (specially emerging threats).

I would never recommend using combination of Anti-Malware applications because you will still get malware on your system sooner or later, but it will be the case. So why wasting system resources?

I also like to mention here :

am i the only one only trusting on common sence.....

Yes you are absolutely right, you can also cure ur system if you have deep common sense of Windows. As most of the malwares changes your registery. I agree with you common sense of Windows working can also prevent your system from malwares.

Iam using regular internet and computers since 1997.

:sneaky:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Spyware Doctor returns far too many false positives. Spy Sweeper has also had issues in the past. :\

Spyware Doc shows far more false positives than it does real problems. Ad-app unto itself :angel.

I agree with you although SpySweeper with Sopohs AV beta is excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

A Combination: IE (anti-mallware setup) + CCleaner (clears TIF and Temp) + GMER + HijackThis + MWAV Free (to scan downloads) + nLite XP SP2 (no WinUpdates needed).

Using system account, browsing any pages I want without fear, no virus for 3 years.

Edited by TheTOM_SK