CD Rom Indexing software?

gai-jin

I know I've seen a program that would do this before, but I can't remember what it was.

Here's what I want:

Insert a cd. The program scans the CD and indexes all the files on it by name/date/size etc. When its done, insert another cd. IIRC, it would scan new cd's in the background everytime you put a disc in.

Later, you can search the program for a specific file, and it would tell you which cd it was on.

(I assume you have to name or number the cd's in some way... don't recall.)

Anyone know of a program that does this?

I was thinking it was google desktop or some similar desktop search app, but can't find that feature now.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a freeware program called disclib. It works well for me.

Disclib is a CD collection organizer program. It may be used as a catalogue of CDs. After creating the catalogue, disclib stores file and folder names and tree, allows user to categorize folders and files, and allows searching all the files from the collection CDs without need to place them in CD reader. Disclib may place in the catalogue any windows folder not only folders on CDs. Disclib has a customizable Multilanguage functionality. The program also extracts mp3 info.

Also, it is available in an installer-less zip and has good import/export functionality for portability.

• 3 weeks later...

I use supercat. It can extract comments from archives, catalog JPG resolutions, MPG information etc

Give it a go. When I used DOS and floppy disks I used CATDISK. There is a windows version but it hasn't been updated for years.