hfnetchk download

the_guy

This is a problem. It's no longer freeware but there was a period during which the old page which contained a link to the freeware executable still existed on their server (even though it wasn't linked to their new site anymore). It looks like they removed this page now too...

EDIT: Haha... Thank god for the waybackmachine... :D

HFNetChk 3.86

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer is free and can perform the same functions via its command line component, mbsacli.exe. Version 2.0 can still output results in plaintext files, if you know the proper syntax.

- Ravashaak

Edited by ravashaak

Sorry, but although that URL leads us to an archive of the page, the actual file which the page links to does not exist. I think we would be better off with TAiN's link.
The file was downloadable before; I wouldn't have posted the link if it wasn't. I could find another archived page but TAiN's link is more reliable, yes.

Yep, I snagged a copy myself just incase it suddenly vanished, as it did.

Edit: Ravashaak, would you care to share that syntax? Or should we just use /? on the exe to get it? I don't have MBSA, so I don't really need to know, but posting how to do it might be helpful for someone else.

Edited by Kramy

I tried to figure that out myself but it looks someone else might have to help us out.

I tried:

C:\mbsacli.exe /n Password /wa /nvc /nm /nd >C:\WU.TXT

This failed because it requires MBSA to be installed.

Then this:

C:\mbsacli.exe /xmlout /wa /nvc >C:\WU.TXT

This downloads something but then fails with an error message saying that my computer is not on a server or something. At the second attempt, the error message displays immediately.

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer is free and can perform the same functions via its command line component, mbsacli.exe. Version 2.0 can still output results in plaintext files, if you know the proper syntax.

- Ravashaak

HFNetChk has two big advantages :

-it doesn't rely on so many services as MBSA (AutoUpdate & Co)

-it doesn't report a hotfix as being missing when the targeted file does not exist (because it has been deleted)

So HFNetChk is far easier when you use nlite of HFCleanUP imho. :yes:

<snip>

Then this:

C:\mbsacli.exe /xmlout /wa /nvc >C:\WU.TXT

This downloads something but then fails with an error message saying that my computer is not on a server or something. At the second attempt, the error message displays immediately.

mbsacli 2.0 requires that the Window Update agent 2.0 be installed. Other than that, you need the latest security update catalog (wsusscan.cab). Use the /nd switch to keep from downloading anything.

mbsacli /nd /nvc /wi /xmlout /catalog wsusscan.cab > scan.xml

This will give me an xml report, but I can't do anything with it. The documentation says mbsacli has report switches, but I can't seem to use them: 1) you can't use them in conjunction with scanning switches, 2) I can't even run mbsacli without using the /xmlout switch