[Help] Usb Detection Anomaly

reflex_monkey

theres a strange problem thats happening to most of the pc's at work:

once the pc is on, and you plug in a USB Flash Disk, the normal procedures such as the usb icon in the system tray appears and disappears and then the "remove usb icon" appears. normally, this would suggest that the flash disk is detected and ready. but if we go to My Computer, we cannot see the drive icon!

the thing is, if i go into any other program like MS Word or Adobe Acrobat, i can see the "removable drive" icon in the list of drives!!!

the only thing that solves this problem is to restart the machine with the flash drive already plugged in and then once its rebooted, you can see it in My Computer!

this problem is EXTREMELY annoying since its sometimes not possible to restart our machines even though we may urgently require information of the flash disk.

Please help.

usbdetectionanomaly6ek.jpg

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

--Sonic

It's a know explorer bug for which i've never found a solution working for sure. I checked open the windows folders in another process and it's a little better but not 100% working.

This has more to do with the chipset within your external drive as well as your USB port. I went out & bought one pci usb2 adapter & one usb ide casing to support my 160 gb hdd which was not supported in bios. The external drive icons would simply play hide & seek in exlorer. Ultimately I simply had to dump it due to frequent corruption of data.

I have faced asimilar problems with front panel connected USB ports. Your best bet woud be to try extension cable connected to the onboard usb port adjacent to audio or ps/2 connectors on the mobo itself. I don't know it it will help you but it definitely resolved my problems.

Right click "My Computer"

"Manage"

"Disk Management"

If the flash drive shows at the top all is OK

It will probably have the same drive letter as an already mapped drive

Right click on it and:

"Change Drive Letter and Paths..."

Change it to an unused drive letter.

I think this is an XP bug..

:hello: