Winnt.sif Error - Line 1 is invalid

When using MS virtual machine to test my Unattended XP Home CD, I get the error message:

"Line 1 of the INF file \i386\winnt.sif is invalid

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

I replaced the winnt.sif file with another one from an unattended CD that I know works (I did an ISO with it first and it ran fine in virtual machine but not in my current CD), but I still get the same error message. So it doesn't appear to be the winnt.sif, but I don't know what's causing it.

Any thoughts? Many thanks.

Kryogenis, I do use SATA drives but that's true for the CD with the winnt.sif that worked. Here's the winnt.sif in the cd that's causing problems:

*************************************************************************************

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

UnattendedInstall = "Yes"

AutomaticUpdates=yes

MsDosInitiated = "No"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

FileSystem=*

OemSkipEula=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

UnattendSwitch="yes"

WaitForReboot="No"

OemPnpDriversPath = "D\G\A\1;D\G\A\1\AVS_T200;D\G\A\1\WDM;D\G\A\2;D\M\I\1;D\M\I\2;D\M\IN\1;D\M\IN\2;D\S\SM\D\1;D\S\SM\D\2;D\S\SM\D\3;Drivers\000_chipset;Drivers\001_NIC;Drivers\005_monitor;Drivers\006_modem;Drivers\008_IntelMass"

OemPreinstall = "Yes"

DriverSigningPolicy = "Ignore"

NonDriverSigningPolicy = "Ignore"

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=35

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

FullName=""

OrgName=""

ComputerName=COMPUTER

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

Vrefresh=75

AutoConfirm=1

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=1

Dialing=Tone

AreaCode=207

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=HOMENETWORK

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=No

[NetAdapters]

Adapter1=params.Adapter1

[params.Adapter1]

INFID=*

[NetClients]

MS_MSClient=params.MS_MSClient

[NetServices]

MS_SERVER=params.MS_SERVER

MS_PSched=params.MS_PSched

[NetProtocols]

MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP

[params.MS_TCPIP]

DNS=Yes

UseDomainNameDevolution=No

EnableLMHosts=Yes

AdapterSections=params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1

[params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1]

SpecificTo=Adapter1

DHCP=Yes

WINS=No

NetBIOSOptions=0

Home_Page = http://www.msn.com/

[Components]

Fax=On

msmsgs=off

msnexplr=off

freecell=off

hearts=off

minesweeper=off

pinball=off

solitaire=off

spider=off

zonegames=off

Charmap = Off

Hypertrm = Off

***************************************************************************************

Below is the winnt.sif in the CD that works:

***************************************************************************************

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

MsDosInitiated = "No"

AutoPartition=0

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

AutomaticUpdates=yes

[unattended]

OemPnPDriversPath = "D\C\A;D\C\AM\1;D\C\AM\2;D\C\AM\3;D\C\AM\4;D\C\AM\5;D\C\AM\6;D\C\AM\7;D\C\AT;D\C\AU;D\C\I;D\C\IT;D\C\N;D\C\S;D\C\SM;D\C\V;D\G\A\1;D\G\A\1\AVS_T200;D\G\A\1\WDM\1;D\G\A\1\WDM\2;D\G\A\2;D\G\N\1;D\G\N\2;D\L\3\1;D\L\3\2;D\L\3\3;D\L\AD;D\L\AM;D\L\AU;D\L\B;D\L\BU\1;D\L\BU\2;D\L\BU\3;D\L\C\1;D\L\C\2;D\L\C\4;D\L\CO\1;D\L\CO\2;D\L\CO\3;D\L\CO\4;D\L\CO\5;D\L\D\1;D\L\D\2;D\L\D\3;D\L\D\4;D\L\D\5;D\L\D\6;D\L\D\7;D\L\D\8;D\L\DA\1;D\L\DA\2;D\L\DA\3;D\L\I;D\L\IN;D\L\L\1;D\L\L\2;D\L\L\3;D\L\L\3\B;D\L\L\4;D\L\L\5;D\L\LI\1;D\L\LI\2;D\L\LI\3;D\L\LI\4;D\L\LI\5;D\L\LI\6;D\L\LI\7;D\L\M;D\L\MI;D\L\N\1;D\L\N\2;D\L\N\3;D\L\N\4;D\L\N\5;D\L\N\6;D\L\N\7;D\L\N\8;D\L\N\9;D\L\NV\123;D\L\NV\123\PreNRM\Win2K;D\L\NV\123\PreNRM\WinXP;D\L\NV\16x;D\L\NV\4a;D\L\NV\4i;D\L\NV\4x0;D\L\NV\pro;D\L\O\1;D\L\O\2;D\L\O\3;D\L\O\4;D\L\O\5;D\L\O\6;D\L\O\7;D\L\O\8;D\L\R\1;D\L\R\2;D\L\S\1;D\L\S\2;D\L\SM\1;D\L\SM\2;D\L\SM\3;D\L\SM\4;D\L\SM\5;D\L\SM\6;D\L\SM\7;D\L\SM\8;D\L\SM\9;D\L\SM\A;D\L\SU\1;D\L\SU\2;D\L\SU\3;D\L\SU\4;D\L\SU\5;D\L\SU\6;D\L\SU\7;D\L\SU\8;D\L\SU\9;D\L\SU\A;D\L\SU\B;D\L\T;D\L\TR\2;D\L\TR\3;D\L\U\1;D\L\U\2;D\L\U\3;D\L\U\4;D\L\U\5;D\L\V\1;D\L\V\2;D\L\V\3;D\L\X;D\M\3\1;D\M\3\2;D\M\3\3;D\M\A\1;D\M\A\2;D\M\A\3;D\M\A\4;D\M\A\5;D\M\A\6;D\M\A\7;D\M\A\8;D\M\AD\1;D\M\AD\2;D\M\AD\3;D\M\AD\4;D\M\AD\5;D\M\AD\6;D\M\AD\6\C;D\M\AD\7;D\M\AD\8;D\M\AD\9;D\M\AD\A;D\M\AM;D\M\AR;D\M\AT;D\M\AU\1;D\M\AU\2;D\M\AU\3;D\M\AU\4;D\M\AU\5;D\M\D;D\M\H\1;D\M\H\1\R;D\M\H\2;D\M\H\3;D\M\H\4;D\M\H\5;D\M\H\6;D\M\H\7;D\M\H\8;D\M\I\1;D\M\I\2;D\M\IN\1;D\M\IN\2;D\M\IT;D\M\J;D\M\L\1;D\M\L\2;D\M\L\3;D\M\L\4;D\M\N\123;D\M\N\4A;D\M\N\4AR;D\M\N\4I;D\M\N\4IR;D\M\P\1;D\M\P\2;D\M\P\2\A;D\M\P\3;D\M\P\4;D\M\P\5;D\M\P\6;D\M\P\7;D\M\P\8;D\M\Q\1;D\M\Q\2;D\M\Q\3;D\M\Q\4;D\M\S\1;D\M\S\2;D\M\S\3;D\M\S\4;D\M\S\5;D\M\S\5\A;D\M\S\6;D\M\S\7;D\M\S\8;D\M\S\9;D\M\S\A;D\M\S\B;D\M\S\C;D\M\SI\1;D\M\SI\2;D\M\SI\3;D\M\V\1;D\M\V\2;D\M\VM;D\S\A;D\S\AV;D\S\C\1;D\S\C\2;D\S\C\3;D\S\CI\F\1;D\S\CO\G\1;D\S\CO\G\2;D\S\CR\4;D\S\CR\5;D\S\CR\6;D\S\H\1;D\S\H\2;D\S\H\3;D\S\M\1;D\S\M\2;D\S\M\3;D\S\M\4;D\S\M\5;D\S\M\6;D\S\M\7;D\S\M\8;D\S\M\9;D\S\M\A;D\S\M\B;D\S\M\C;D\S\M\D;D\S\S;D\S\S\D\1;D\S\S\D\2;D\S\S\F\1;D\S\S\F\2;D\S\S\P;D\S\S\S;D\S\S\U;D\S\SC;D\S\SI\1;D\S\SI\2;D\S\SM\A\1;D\S\SM\A\2;D\S\SM\A\3;D\S\SM\A\4;D\S\SM\A\5;D\S\SM\A\6;D\S\SM\A\7;D\S\SM\A\8;D\S\SM\C\1;D\S\SM\C\2;D\S\SM\D\1;D\S\SM\D\2;D\S\SM\E;D\S\SM\G\1;D\S\SM\G\2;D\S\SM\G\3;D\S\SM\G\4;D\S\SM\G\5;D\S\SM\G\6;D\S\SM\G\7;D\S\SM\H\1;D\S\SM\H\2;D\S\SM\H\3;D\S\SM\H\4;D\S\SM\I\1;D\S\SM\I\2;D\S\SM\IN;D\S\SM\S;D\S\T\1;D\S\T\2;D\S\T\3;D\S\T\4;D\S\T\5;D\S\T\6;D\S\TR;D\S\Y\1;D\S\Y\2;D\S\Y\3;D\W\3\1;D\W\3\2;D\W\3\3;D\W\3\4;D\W\3\5;D\W\3\6;D\W\3\7;D\W\A;D\W\AI\1;D\W\AI\2;D\W\AS;D\W\AT\H;D\W\AT\I;D\W\AV;D\W\B\1;D\W\B\2;D\W\B\3;D\W\B\4;D\W\B\5;D\W\B\5\3;D\W\B\6;D\W\B\7;D\W\B\8;D\W\B\9;D\W\B\A;D\W\BL\1;D\W\BL\2;D\W\BL\3;D\W\BL\4;D\W\BL\5;D\W\BL\6;D\W\BL\7;D\W\BL\8;D\W\BL\9;D\W\BR;D\W\BR\A;D\W\BR\D;D\W\BU\1;D\W\BU\2;D\W\BU\4;D\W\BU\5;D\W\BU\7;D\W\BU\8;D\W\BU\9;D\W\BU\A;D\W\C\1;D\W\C\2;D\W\CO\1;D\W\CO\2;D\W\CO\3;D\W\CO\4;D\W\CO\5;D\W\CO\6;D\W\CR\1;D\W\CR\2;D\W\CR\3;D\W\CR\4;D\W\D\1;D\W\D\2;D\W\D\2\A;D\W\D\2\D;D\W\D\2\E;D\W\D\2\F;D\W\D\3;D\W\D\3\C;D\W\D\3\D;D\W\D\3\E;D\W\D\4;D\W\D\4\K;D\W\D\4\L;D\W\D\4\M;D\W\D\4\P;D\W\D\5;D\W\D\6;D\W\D\7;D\W\D\8;D\W\D\9;D\W\D\A;D\W\D\B;D\W\D\B\B;D\W\D\C;D\W\D\C\C;D\W\D\D;D\W\D\D\B;D\W\D\E;D\W\D\E\B;D\W\D\E\C;D\W\DE;D\W\E\1;D\W\E\2;D\W\E\3;D\W\E\4;D\W\E\5;D\W\E\6;D\W\E\7;D\W\E\8;D\W\E\9;D\W\E\A;D\W\E\B;D\W\E\C;D\W\E\D;D\W\E\E;D\W\E\F;D\W\E\G;D\W\E\H;D\W\E\I;D\W\E\J;D\W\EN\1;D\W\EN\2;D\W\G\1;D\W\G\2;D\W\I\1;D\W\I\2;D\W\I\3;D\W\I\4;D\W\I\5;D\W\I\6;D\W\L\1;D\W\L\2;D\W\L\3;D\W\LI\1;D\W\LI\2;D\W\LI\3;D\W\LI\3\2;D\W\LI\4;D\W\LI\5;D\W\LI\6\3;D\W\LI\6\A;D\W\LI\7;D\W\LI\8;D\W\LI\9;D\W\LI\9\2;D\W\LI\A;D\W\LI\B;D\W\LI\C;D\W\LI\C\2;D\W\LI\C\26;D\W\LI\C\3;D\W\LI\C\4;D\W\LI\C\A;D\W\LI\D;D\W\LI\E;D\W\LI\E\4;D\W\LI\E\A;D\W\LI\F;D\W\M;D\W\MI;D\W\MIN\1;D\W\MIN\2;D\W\N\1;D\W\N\2;D\W\N\3;D\W\N\4;D\W\N\4\3;D\W\N\5;D\W\N\6;D\W\N\7;D\W\N\8;D\W\O\1;D\W\O\2;D\W\O\3;D\W\O\4;D\W\P;D\W\R\1;D\W\R\2;D\W\RE\1;D\W\RE\2;D\W\RE\3;D\W\S\1;D\W\S\2;D\W\S\3;D\W\S\4;D\W\SE\1;D\W\SE\2;D\W\SE\3;D\W\SE\4;D\W\SE\5;D\W\SI\1;D\W\SI\2;D\W\SI\2\U;D\W\SI\3;D\W\SI\3\U;D\W\SIT\1;D\W\SIT\2;D\W\SIT\3;D\W\SIT\4;D\W\SIT\5;D\W\SIT\6;D\W\SIT\7;D\W\SIT\8;D\W\SIT\9;D\W\SIT\A;D\W\SIT\B;D\W\SIT\C;D\W\SIT\D;D\W\SM\1;D\W\SM\2;D\W\SM\3;D\W\SM\4;D\W\SM\5;D\W\SM\6;D\W\SM\7;D\W\SM\7\WINXP;D\W\SM\8;D\W\SM\9;D\W\SM\A;D\W\SM\B;D\W\SM\C;D\W\SM\C\2;D\W\SM\D;D\W\SU\1;D\W\SU\2;D\W\SU\3;D\W\SU\4;D\W\SU\5;D\W\SU\6;D\W\SU\7;D\W\SU\8;D\W\SU\9;D\W\SU\A;D\W\SU\B;D\W\SU\C;D\W\SU\D;D\W\SU\E;D\W\SU\G;D\W\SU\H;D\W\SU\I;D\W\U\1;D\W\U\2;D\W\U\3;D\W\U\4;D\W\U\5;D\W\U\6;D\W\X\1;D\W\X\2;D\W\X\3;D\W\X\4;D\W\X\5;D\W\X\6;D\W\X\7;D\W\Z\2;D\W\Z\3;D\W\Z\4;Drivers\005_monitor;Drivers\006_modem\WinXP;Drivers\002_sound;Drivers\008_Intel_net"

NonDriverSigningPolicy = "Ignore"

DriverSigningPolicy = "Ignore"

OemPreinstall = "Yes"

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

FileSystem=*

UnattendSwitch="yes"

WaitForReboot="No"

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=35

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

FullName=""

OrgName=""

ComputerName=COMPUTER

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

Vrefresh=75

AutoConfirm=1

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=1

Dialing=Tone

AreaCode=207

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=HOMENETWORK

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=No

[NetAdapters]

Adapter1=params.Adapter1

[params.Adapter1]

INFID=*

[NetClients]

MS_MSClient=params.MS_MSClient

[NetServices]

MS_SERVER=params.MS_SERVER

MS_PSched=params.MS_PSched

[NetProtocols]

MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP

[params.MS_TCPIP]

DNS=Yes

UseDomainNameDevolution=No

EnableLMHosts=Yes

AdapterSections=params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1

[params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1]

SpecificTo=Adapter1

DHCP=Yes

WINS=No

NetBIOSOptions=0

[Components]

Fax=On

msmsgs=off

msnexplr=off

freecell=off

hearts=off

minesweeper=off

pinball=off

solitaire=off

spider=off

zonegames=off

not something stupid, like you have a blank line at the top of the file? because nothing obvious seems to stand out. you do alos have a blank line where pnpdrivers = , but guessing you deleted when copying over

also, could you please use code tags as easier to read.

Thanks, Oioldman.

You're right, there's not a line at top in the actual winnt.sif. I'm not sure what l you meant by "a blank line where pnpdrivers ="?

And I knew someone would ask me to use use code tags but the problem is, though I've seen them used, I don't know how to use them.

I'm thinking that my problem is not the winnt.sif despite the fact that is what's mentioned. But, instead, it's some inf or in_ file that's read after that. Does anyone no what is read after the winnt.sif is read so I can look there?

Many thanks.

If iso in VM works but not the actual CD then it suggests CD media or reading problem.

PS. code tags: put [ code ] in front, [ /code ] at the back of the text, without the actual spaces.

Edited by Takeshi

Thanks, Takeshi.

It's not the CD. When I couldn't get the current one to work, I used an Unattended Cd that I know works. I then ISO'd it and it ran fine in VM.

I think the problem is that I NLite before and after using RVM's update pack and addons with its integrator. I think using NLite for registry tweaks/options/patches after that screwed things up that RVM had done. That must be why the error message referenced "inf". I re-did the unattended but this time used NLite for everything I needed first, followed by RVM's intergration of updatePack and add-ons, then DPs_ROE drivers. Now it works fine. The Winnt.sif is idendtical to the one that was in the Unattended that didn't work, so I don't think Winnt.sif was causing the error but some mess up with the inf's in whatever windows read next.