Windows Messenger SPAM

SilentRob

Ever since installing my switch in lieu of the router (as we now have two IP's on one cable modem), I've been getting all sorts of SPAM thru Windows Messenger (I think)... I've been unsuccessful in creating rules that block Messenger Service SPAM, while allowing Windows Messenger to properly function with .NET sites. Here's an example of one of the problem messages claiming to present a solution:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Titlebar: Messenger Service

--------------------------------------------------------------

Message from Help to You on 8/7/2003 2:42:34 PM

NEVER GET A MESSAGE LIKE THIS AGAIN!

Had enough of these annoying Messenger pop-ups?

The people at <company name deleted because they're jerks> have come up with an inexpensive solution!

Make sure this is the last pop-up you ever receive.

Join the thousands of people using and enjoying <product name deleted because its marketers are jerks> today.

Visit: www.<domain name deleted because the owner is a jerk>.com

-----

|OK|

-----

------------------------------Window End.

This is getting quite annoying, as the only ads I get are promotions for ad-blocking software... basically everyone is telling me to pay them to stop bugging me. It's much like the crippled newspaper salesman outside the Goleta K-Mart... only I can't curse at these people and tell them to **** off... Well, I can, but they won't hear me :)

Any help will be appreciated.

Rob

I hate it when people have this problem and post it, anywayz, do the following:

Right-click on "My Computer" and go to "Manage"...Now, in the left window pane, double-click on "Services and Applications" and then click on "Services". In the right window pane, go down to "Messenger", double-click on it, and choose "Disabled" from the drop-down menu! Press "OK"!

Problem solved! :)

BTW, it has nothing to do with Windows Messenger! :rolleyes:

you beat me to the post...

if your refering to net sends do the following to avoid it from every happening again...

Start>Control Panel>Admin Tools>Services>Scroll down until you find Messenger Service>Right click it>Select Properties>Then change the startup Type Manual>Press the stop button to shut down the service and press "OK" to save your settings.

Thats all you have to do to stop Messanger Spam.