Win 2k3 SP2

I've not seen any posts about this yet so thought I'd put it in.

The SP2 beta is now available from http://connect.microsoft.com Sign up for it and then you should get instant access into the program.

Its not a very heavy service pack like SP2 for XP, IE7 is not included. Just makes a few patches to your system from what I can see.

They need to make a way to integrate IE 7 into XP/2003. I'm getting tired of installing things manually across older platforms like Win2000 and NT. :unsure:

I'll look into SP2 on a virtual machine. After that I'll just wait for the final release. This has been needed for a while now.

All it does is bring some of the R2 release over to Pre R2 machines. I personally for right now dont see any advantage to this SP, Im hoping it becomes more significant as it goes along.

They need to make a way to integrate IE 7 into XP/2003. I'm getting tired of installing things manually across older platforms like Win2000 and NT. :unsure:

I'll look into SP2 on a virtual machine. After that I'll just wait for the final release. This has been needed for a while now.

heh, all of the forums on that site are protected...you can't browse them without registering and logging in. Would you mind posting the info you referred to in this forum to save some people the trouble?

Lazy? This isn't about me. It is about making the information easily accessible to everyone. Thanks for posting that zip.

SP2 can be expected to include all published hotfixes at the time of its release. Here is a summary of what is new with SP2 (most emphasis is mine):

Windows Deployment Services

Starting with this version of Windows Server 2003 with SP2, Remote Installation Services is replaced by Windows Deployment Services. You can use Windows Deployment Services to set up new computers through a network-based installation without having to be physically present at each computer and without having to install directly from DVD media. For more information about Windows Deployment Services, see the Windows Deployment Services Update Step-by-Step Guide.

Networking and Communications

This version of Windows Server 2003 SP2 includes an update that allows you to simplify the creation and maintenance of Internet Protocol security (IPsec) policy. This update enables you to use an IPsec "Simple Policy." For most environments, the installation of this update lets you reduce the number of IPsec filters that are required for a Server Isolation deployment or for a Domain Isolation deployment. You can reduce the number of IPsec filters from many hundreds of filters to only two filters.

Group Policy support for non-broadcasting networks and Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) settings has been added to the Windows wireless client in Windows Server 2003 SP2. This update allows the Windows wireless client to accept additional wireless Group Policy configuration options. These new settings include support for WPA2 parameters and non-broadcast networks.

The Windows wireless client now supports WPA2, allowing you to take advantage of high levels of standards-based connection and encryption security. New security features include:

Non-broadcast network profiles are now marked with a flag to improve the security of the Windows wireless client.

Windows will not automatically connect to a peer-to-peer network, even if it has been automatically saved in the preferred network list. You must manually connect to a peer-to-peer network profile.

Clustering

A new event log event has been created to address certain situations in which the Cluster Service Account becomes excessively restricted by domain policy.

Data Access Components

XmlLite is new with Windows Server 2003 SP2. XmlLite is a fast, low-level, native XML parser with a small memory footprint. 

Distributed Systems

New options have been added to the Dcdiag.exe Domain Name Service (DNS) tests. These new options are /x and /xsl:xslfile.xsl or /xsl:xsltfile.xslt. They generate XML tags when the tests are run with the /test:dns option. You can use this new output mechanism to more easily parse the verbose log that the DNS tests generate.

File Systems

Icacls.exe is an upgrade of the Cacls.exe tool in Windows Server 2003 SP2, and can be used to reset the account control lists (ACL) on files from Recovery Console, and to back up ACLs. Also, unlike Cacls.exe, Icacles.exe correctly propagates changes to and creation of inherited ACLs.

Microsoft Message Queuing

The default storage limit for message queuing has been changed to 1 gigabyte (GB).