Optimal drive config with 3 non-raid SCSI drives?

jimwillsher

Does anybody have any suggestions for sucking the maximum performance out of my discs? I have the following config :

PIII 700

768Mb SDRAM

Adaptec 29160 card with

2xQuantum Atlas 10K 9Gb

1xQuantum Atlas 10K II 9Gb

XP Pro is installed to C:, ad my page file is split across D: and E: However, is there anything more I can do to boost the throughput - volumes, stripe sets, anything?

Thanks,

Jim

• 1 month later...

fibre channel

A fibre channel storage subsystems could easily be built around SCSI drives. Similarly, such a subsystem could be attached to a SCSI bus under a single SCSI ID, evading the SCSI limit of 16 attached devices per channel.

Fibre channel is a serial data transfer architecture developed for use over fibre optic cable, although it can also be used over shielded twisted-pair copper cables at a reduced distance. Single-mode fibre lets you connect devices over a 10km span, which offers options for disaster recovery and mirroring, but is not of much interest for everyday applications. Multi-mode fibre, which is cheaper, can support distances of up to 2km.

ANother thing are you using Ultra scsi 3?

Ultra3 SCSI, as ratified by the SCSI Trade Association, includes five features that take it beyond the capabilities of the 80Mb/s Ultra2 SCSI generation. These are: double transition clocking; cyclic redundancy check (CRC); domain validation; packetisation; and quick arbitration and select SCSI SPI-3 standard.

ALSO with regards to stripped sets, you might want to try this site, as it enlightened me very well.

http://dvguide.sharbor.com/toasternt/suppo...-stripeset.html

Hope this helps,

Big Booger