Windows 98 + ME *still* alive campaign + logos

Hello!

"Who needs a new computer?"

http://jeff-duntemann.livejournal.com/69273.html

We're on a plateau. The "user experience" is generally pretty good. Even non-enthusiasts have had time to get used to Windows and the general concepts behind Windows computing. Their machines do what they need to do. PC lifetimes are stretching out, and I think we hit a sort of sweet spot in or about 1999. There will be Win2K and XP boxes running unmodified for another fifteen years, or even more.

Geek tho I may be, I still have a 1995 minivan in my garage. Still works. Coupla rust spots, but hey - it's paid for. Why do computer companies assume they can push a new box down everybody's chimney every two years?

Hello!

Even Windows 3.11 is still alive :D

http://digg.com/software/Windows_3_11_is_s...sta_at_anything

Roman

It's not only still alive, it's improved with Calmira:

http://www.calmira.de/

and even has an XP look: http://users.pandora.be/azone/calmira/calxp40.htm

It can even support long file names with the LFN version of Calmira.

If they can keep 3.11 going this long and improve it...we can do the same with 9x for just as long, if not longer. :D

OK I am back...

Finished: Phase 1: create graphics

ToDo: Phase 2: Website

What I plan on doing is making an information page for both developers and users that will not only explain the benefits of developers continuing to support 9x, but links to 9x info/support sites, which will include many (if not all) the ones on the page created by MDGx.

Part of the problem with posts about this being deleted on forums is that it does look a bit self promotional. But if a link to the 9x related forum you are posting on was also included on the info page, it might not be regarded as such and may be less likely to end up deleted. There has to be something in it for them they can agree with, and I think this may be it.

There is also a problem with how the current page is designed. The info comes after a list of links. It should be the other way around and have some order to it that sorts the links in a much easier to read style. It's not that hard to make it look less like something from 1997 and still work in older browsers.

I will then ask all 9x users and supporters to put a graphic on their site linking to the page.

Rules for developers and other supporters
:

You can only use the graphic on pages containing software and services that works on 9x...but not only does it have to work, you have to make sure it works and be committed to continuing 9x support in that application or service. This is for developers and tech support people that are willing to go the extra mile. This graphic is to be a
badge of honor
. Use of this badge will entitle you have your software or service included in a directory of developers and tech support people willing to support 9x. (free advertising!)

Rules for users
:

Use & love your 9x. Be proud of it. Have no shame. Hold your head up high and display the graphic where you desire.

Graphics for developers and support technicians (hot linking allowed):

9x1kj0.gif9x2lv2.gif

9x2anipm5.gif9x3su0.gif

Graphics for users (hot linking allowed):

9x1uql7.gif9x2ulk8.gif

9x2uaniix4.gif9x3uqz2.gif

I do not have the page to link to ready yet, nor do I have anything prepared for the developers & services directory. For now, link to MDGx's page here:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/

I would not have a problem with continued and permanent linking to his page if the rest of my ideas were somehow implemented, such as adding the supporters to a directory of some sort.

If completion of Phase 2 becomes necessary, and I have to do the work myself, I will report back with the url to link to.

Now...all that being said, feedback is desired. Is my effort appreciated? Is there any issues you would like to discuss?

These days, "Win9x" seems to refer more to Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and WinME, not including Windows 95. I run Windows 95.

But I'm willing to help anyway. My new PC is going to have Windows 98 SE, even. I want to help on the website coding, so that it's standards-compliant both in structure and spirit. I'm not that good at creating a design, though.

• 1 month later...
These days, "Win9x" seems to refer more to Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and WinME, not including Windows 95. I run Windows 95.

But I'm willing to help anyway. My new PC is going to have Windows 98 SE, even. I want to help on the website coding, so that it's standards-compliant both in structure and spirit. I'm not that good at creating a design, though.

what edition of Windows 95, BenoitRen? It better not be the original/retail version of Win95 which had outlived and fully served its purpose in the computer world. The OSR2 editions of Win95 (versions B and C; MS-DOS 7.1 identifies Windows 95 OSR2 as 4.00.1111) are still usable IMHO because of FAT32 support, DMA support for CD & hard drives and other improvements that were left out of the original and SP1 versions of Windows 95.

Edited by erpdude8

thanx, BenoitRen. I interpret "Windows 9x" as Windows 95, 98 & ME which is as it should be (NO exclusion of Win95)

I believe Marius '95 also uses Win95, most likely version B. havent seen any recent posts from him lately.

Windows 3.x still alive? neat!

• 2 weeks later...

that MS System Info (msinfo32.exe) app included in Win98/ME; why should they have all the fun with that app. I created the MSInfo pack for Win95 which includes the Microsoft System Information tool plus some other useful utilities from Win98/ME that can work under Win95 [like System File Checker (sfc.exe), Dr. Watson GUI (drwatson.exe), System Config tool (msconfig.exe), Registry Checker (scanreg.exe & scanregw.exe) and updated Defrag.exe, Regedit.exe & Scandskw.exe tools]. installing these tools should make Win95 a little more usable and more easier to troubleshoot problems under Win95.

I send the MSinfo pack for Win95 to MDGx. find it on the Free Essential System Add-Ons page.

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 months later...

I've been thinking a bit recently. With the banning(?) of an important member (can't you do anything MDGx?) and all the reactions after that...now Tihiy moving to W2k (please don't, we need you here!)... other people moving too... I think we need a boost! So come on, let's not give up people!

We must stay committed and defend Win9x. It's our favorite OS, we paid for it and we have the right to keep using it if we want to !

People are already beginning to start fighting to keep XP and they'll get into the same troubles as us. That might very well help us out!

Anyway, all this to say that I saw a "proud to still be on XP" userbar recently and I decided to look for a Win9x one. There are app103's avatars (thanks man!) but a userbar can be nice too and since I didn't find any, I decided to make my own one.

-> Feel free to use it and show that you're proud to use Windows 95, 98, SE or Me !!!

version française:

toujourswin9xrv3.png

english version:

stillwin9xqn7.png

Hope you like it and use it !

Edited by glocK_94