Install Dell OEM Windows 2000 on non-Dell PC

Guest coffee_fiend

Guest coffee_fiend

My Dell PC just died and to replace it I bought a non-Dell PC, expecting to install Windows 2000 using the Dell CD. But the Windows 2000 CD is obviously checking the bios, seeing it’s a non-Dell machine and won't install. I'm not trying to use one license on multiple machines – just one. Is there a workaround for this? (I'm not a programmer)

Thanks!

Note that the version of Windows that shipped with your Dell is only legal (at least in the US) when installed on said Dell - moving it to other hardware invalidates the license (not that it matters much now - Windows 2000 is in extended support).

• 7 months later...
My Dell PC just died and to replace it I bought a non-Dell PC, expecting to install Windows 2000 using the Dell CD. But the Windows 2000 CD is obviously checking the bios, seeing it’s a non-Dell machine and won't install. I'm not trying to use one license on multiple machines – just one. Is there a workaround for this? (I'm not a programmer)

Thanks!

My Dell died too dude! But, I've replaced my MB and power supply with a non-Dell expecting that the "Win 2000 SP3" reinstallation CD would just reinstall and ask for my CD key. I had read up on it and thought that most of these CDs would. Nope!, "Can only be installed on a DELL machine". There's got to be a way of removing the BIOS check or adding my BIOS #s to the list to a burned CD. Anyone? Or is this one of those no-no items?