Setting up a 98lit'ed (98micro) system...

SearchingBearCub

I got a copy of 98lite, and will be using it to set up a 98micro install on my main system and an ancient laptop (AMD 366Mhz, 192 Megs RAM, ~4GB HD, dialup modem). The older laptop is going to a friend who is not very technically inclined.

1) What are my options for a free, easy to use, lightweight firewall?

2) How about handling POP3 email and a dayplanner? Same criteria.

I'm experimenting with a 98lited install with VirtualPC before I put it on either machine. Virtual PC is good, but is limited by what hardware it does and does not emulate, so it's hard to verify dialup connectivity.

3) Under the 98micro configuration, what must I keep to keep dialup functionality intact? Broadband?

4) For speed, reduced HD clutter, etc, how can I set up a RAM disk for temp files, browser cache, history, etc? Obviously any favorites would need to be saved to the HD as normal.

5) Once I get the systems configured perfectly, exactly how can I image the systems to a bootable "Restore CD"? Older laptop has no CD writer - Image must be transferred to my main system to be burned. Assuming that I load the USB drive drivers, can I transfer the image to my main system with a 2GB USB drive?

Thanks!

If you're behind a NAT router, you definitely don't need a firewall.

However, 98se doesn't have any open ports when setup correctly (137-139, the normally open NetBIOS ones, can be closed with a simple registry adjustment).

As for programs attempting to connect from your machine, that can be avoided by being careful with downloaded files and using a virus scanner.

I'm behind a router now, but I was directly connected to the 'net for several years, and haven't had any problems with 98se.

I got a copy of 98lite, and will be using it to set up a 98micro install on my main system and an ancient laptop (AMD 366Mhz, 192 Megs RAM, ~4GB HD, dialup modem). The older laptop is going to a friend who is not very technically inclined.

1) What are my options for a free, easy to use, lightweight firewall?

This is the firewall I would use:

NetVeda Safety.Net

Phil

2) How about handling POP3 email and a dayplanner? Same criteria.

I don't know about a dayplanner, but this e-mail client is really good:

Courier

I think you'll be pleased at how snappy the program is. I've found that many modern email client programs are bloated and a bit sluggish (especially on older hardware). Fortunately, Courier is not one of them.

Phil

• 1 year later...