NAV 2003 @ 25 megs

Want to install Norton Antivirus 2003 pro using only 25.7 megs of cd space ? Heres how :

First read this post :

http://www.MSFN.org/board/index.php?act=ST&f=70&t=7698

OK , so now you have only the required folders: nav , support and virus def. For me these are 46.3 megs - your mileage might vary.

Now fire up Winrar and add the folders to a new archive called NAV2003 , and select "best compression method" and "create SFX archive" in the general tab.

Goto the advanced tab and click the SFX options button. In the "path to extract " field ,

enter %systemdrive%\install\nav2003 (you may need to alter the path to suit your own needs).

Select "create in the current folder" and ensure "save and restore paths" is checked.

In the Modes tab , select "hide start dialog" and "overwrite all files"

In the Text and Icon tab , enter the text to display as the files are unpacked ( ie : Unpacking NAV2003 )

Click OK to close the advanced SFX options window , and OK again to compress the files.

Copy your new NAV2003.exe to your $OEM$\$1$\NAV2003 folder and add this to your .cmd batch:

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Norton Antivirus 2003 Professional
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\NAV2003\nav2003.exe
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\NAV2003\NAV\NAV.msi /QB
ECHO.

When you come to install Nav2003 , the files are first decompressed , and then install runs as usual :)

This method also works well for any other files that are highly compressable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there a way to stop NAV automatically from running after it's installed using this method? It might cause problems when applications and hotfixes are installed after it.

By the way, thanks for the great method of compressing files to save space! :)

i've made NAV2004 to 21.6Mb. You can delete some Files in your "support" dir too. For example IE and the MSI Installer files. :)

Another hint is to extract all files too "temp" and call navsetup.exe /QB after extracting.

greets

BTW: I close cfgwiz.exe with pskill.exe it works fine for me, as you don't need activation for the german version.