XP Firewall unavailable.

I keep getting this message when I go to START>CONTROL PANEL>NETWORK CONNECTIONS> then I click on "Change Windows Firewall settings".............

""""Due to an unidentified problem. Windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings"'''.

When I go to the bottom right of the desktop and click on "Windows Security Settings”, it shows Firewall as on.

I do have Sygate Free version on their personal firewall installed.But it is off right now.

But even if it’s on or off I can’t view my XP firewall and the settings.

I used to be able to do that.

I want to run the Windows Firewall exclusively.

Thanks

rendarg,

Oh yes!!!

I know that,it is just a problem that I want to solve.

I just want to understand why all of a sudden I cant work with the XP Firewall.

I kind of though that the Sygate was better and you confirmed it.

Just one of those little problems I want to solve is all.

is the firewall service started?

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

The "Windows Firewall/ICS" service is the one you want to check. Make sure it is not disabled.

O.K.

The "Windows Firewall/ICS" doesnt exist in the list.

The "Application Layer Gateway Service " was in manual and when I "Started" it to and rebooted it went back to manual.

So,I am going to try to download the XP Firewall again and re-install.

I know its an educational excersise but I do want to learn about this failure.

Thanks,I'll let you know how it goes.

It might help to know a little more regarding your circumstances. Was anything removed from the install source with nLite? Are you in an Active Directory environment where Group Policy could be affecting you service settings?

RogueSpear,

Sorry about sounding uneducated.

I'm not sure what Active Directory is,I have my account that's administrator enabled and one other account that my daughter has and she cannot do anything as an administrator.

Im basically a home user.

I use XP Home and have SP2 with all the updates.

I dont know if Ive said this,but when I enable the Security Center icon on the bottom right it says "a" firewall is "ON".

It wont turn on of off,and I have my Sygate Firewall off I believe.

if Windows firewall was running, the text would read:

Windows Firewall is on

Unfortunately I don't have access to a XP Home workstation, but my guess is there's something wrong if you don't have the Windows Firewall/ICS service, unless Sygate removes it with its installation.

From your control panel, do you have a Windows Firewall icon? Does it do anything when you try to open in?

Funny,I see my XP Home workstation more like a playstation,you know,surfing,Medal of Honor etc.....

Well,lets see,there is a Windows Firewall Icon in the Control panel.

When I click on it I get the original error message,that Windows cannot show information about the firewall,Im on another computer now and not home,but it was in my original post.

And as per exactly what it says in the Secuirty Center it says,Firewall then "ON"nothing about Windows.

Can you direct me to the link where I could download the firewall again,I cant seem to find it?

Thanks

it came bundled as part of SP2, and a quick search on microsoft's site didn't bring up any separate installers.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

You could try downloading and re-installing SP2 and see how far that gets you.

it is quite possible that sygate somehow disabled the firewall... so you might want to uninstall it, reboot your PC, and see if it comes back. If not, you could try installing SP2 again, though I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by rendrag