Not a valid windows image file

1bluelight

:(

I have a compaq presario sr1000z, amd 2.08cpu 512 ram, 200gb hd, 128mb radeon 9600 video card, windows xp home edition,sp1 and sp2 installed.

I have had to restore my system from compaq's system recovery partion. Since that time I keep getting the message that the file, or .dll is not a valid windows image file. I get the error message with both .exe and .dll files.

Can anyone suggest to me how to fix this problem?

Thanks, 1bluelight

I don't personally recommend using the recovery console to recover from Windows because you get loadz of errors. I format it straight off. I keep important files on another partition so I don't lose it.

And what do you mean by you have both sp1 and sp2 installed :P

Just back up all your files and format is my best answer.

Edited by T D

To answer your question... it could be a file association problem, or a corrupt registry entry....im not at home right now so i cant really help u with the required entry...

Sunil

Since you restored from a recovery partition I would assume you either have file problems or had data trransfer problems when you rebuilt your system. I would agree w/TD in this instance, you need to rebuild but I would use a regular XP CD or and nLited CD rather than Compaq's media.