[Question] Purchasing XP OEM

Obscurity

First off, OEM versions of windows are modified to the specific manufactuer needs. Where the retail version (non-oem) are full copies without mods. Now, oem versions have specific keys to oem manufactuers, VL - Volume Liciense specific to groups who have volume agreements (i.e MSDN subscribers) and retail. Respectfully i recommend getting a full version copy of Windows Pro.

Regarding partition and formating with oem disc(s), i have several oem PC (Windows XP PRO) that do have the ability to create and delete partitions and format with NTFS, XP Home can format NTFS and FAT32.

You are mistaken. Here in India Microsoft is very definitely selling OEM version of windows to be installed by independent pc assemblers. This is a very standard practice in UK where you can walk into a store, selct all the components & the shop will deliver a fully functional Windows machine. The limitation is that Microsoft does not provide any support but one has to revert to the PC selling store.

When you talk about specific OEM like Dell, IBM or HP the customosation is done by these OEMs, not by Microsoft. You can't buy these CDs either. For all you know they might be lecensing the software ar something like US$20/= to US$25/= per PC.

Just to touch up on this subject.

The sale of Microsoft OEM software is only appliacable when the software is already installed on a complete operational system, any OEM software aquired with pc componets or non-componets is considered a non-legal transfer of licence, their for voids any tranfer of agreements. For complete details, you can call Microsoft or post again i will post offical documentation regarding this topic.

Just to touch up on this subject.

The sale of Microsoft OEM software is only appliacable when the software is already installed on a complete operational system, any OEM software aquired with pc componets or non-componets is considered a non-legal transfer of licence, their for voids any tranfer of agreements. For complete details, you can call Microsoft or post again i will post offical documentation regarding this topic.

Here are a few direct quotes from the microsoft OEM site.

With the new 1-pack, the unopened package can be distributed to another system builder by itself, without any hardware requirement.
OEM system builder software packs are intended for PC and server manufacturers or assemblers ONLY. They are not intended for distribution to end users. Unless the end user is actually assembling his/her own PC, in which case, that end user is considered a system builder as well.
Can I distribute an unopened 1-pack to an end-user?

OEM system builder software is designed for OEM system builders for preinstallation on new PCs. The outside of the pack states “Intended for PC and server manufacturers or assemblers ONLY”. While unopened packs can be distributed to other system builders, they are not intended for end-users. If an end-user opens the pack, they are bound by the break-the-seal agreement which requires them to preinstall the product using the OPK, support the product, and other requirements not appropriate for an end-user who does not have the skills and technical knowledge of a system builder. An exception to this is when the end-user is actually assembling their own PC, in which case, that end user is considered a system builder as well, under the definition in the OEM system builder license agreement.

What do we do with existing inventory of product with the “old” OEM System Builder License and/or COA label?

We realize there will be an overlap period between licenses and both license types will be in the market for some overlapped period of time. If you are carrying inventory of OEM System Builder product with the former license agreement/COA, those license agreement terms and conditions will be in effect until you distribute the product. As you order new inventory with the “new” license, the new license terms and conditions will be in effect. You can continue to distribute any inventory of existing product once the new license is out – we do not expect you to replace or exchange your existing inventory of product with the “former” license agreement.

In their efforts to wring every dime out of Windows users possible, Microshaft has created a licensing nightmare. I don't blame anyone for using a legallized (hacked) version of XP.

What they've done with WGA is absolutely Criminal. :realmad:

I think someone already expressed my disdane for the whole system with the term, "Crapola".

I echo that sentiment. :yes:

I have several friends/customers that have legal versions of XP, but WGA told them their version was Illegal.

In most countries of the world, that's considered "Fraud".

I was infuriated and so I wrote a little program to totally remove WGA from the HD.

Then you can tell MS-Updates to NOT download WGA again.

Old Scrooge said it well....."Bah Humbug!" :whistle:

Andromeda43 :thumbup

:hello: I would like a little clairty on one point please. I found a place thats selling a copy of xp pro OEM. They are selling it in a cd case with the cd key and a yellow COA on the case. Is that still a legal and valid copy for me to buy and use. BTW Thanks for the excelent info. :thumbup

Once a Multi-pack or Single-pack with the a yellow COA is opened it can only be sold with a "Fully Assembled PC" and must be preinstalled on that PC. If you want to purchase a single copy you must buy a sealed Single-pack. These are harder to find because most resellers would rather buy a 3-pack or a 30-pack at a discount and break it apart and most end users aren't familiar with the new rules. A sealed Single-pack will be packaged as follows:

The 1-pack will come in a padded envelope, and will have the OEM system builder break-the-seal license agreement affixed to the front of the envelope. Inside, you will find just one individual software license (which includes the Certificate of Authenticity label, hologram media, and documentation).

1License_Env.jpg

Thanks that helps! :)

In their efforts to wring every dime out of Windows users possible, Microshaft has created a licensing nightmare. I don't blame anyone for using a legallized (hacked) version of XP.

What they've done with WGA is absolutely Criminal. :realmad:

So... a discussion about OEM licencing, which is cheaper than standard licencing, turns into a comment about how Microsoft is trying to squeeze every dime out of the customers?

And where was the discussion about WGA? There are plenty of other threads about that, but this isn't one of them.

• 2 weeks later...