How do you refresh your system?

spacesurfer

How do you restore your system?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for restoring your system to a fresh install?

• Imaging software
    • Unattended install
    • I use both for different scenarios
    • I reinstall, but not unattended

In my last poll, topic went a little stray with a battle of imaging vs unattended.

Here's a new playground where you can offer your opinion on what you prefer.

I think both have their place in different scenarios.

I chose Imaging because I have to many applications and games wich I don´t want to go through with all the installations and reebooting again and again.

I don´t do much unnattended of this reason.

Edited by Xpaninity

I reinstall because I don't really know any good free imaging software and lack the experience in it. I don't use unattended because I've not got round to making a disc yet, and I also use Vista.

I mainly reimage (or copy VM's containers for virtual PCs), and use unattended installs to create new images. Sysprep is your friend... Life's too short to reinstall it all unattended all the time. As Vista comes, we'll all be using imaging anyways :)

My way of using both tends to use alot time but is worth the effort.

First - create a new Windows Setup disk with all current updates intergrated/slipstreamed.

Second - install all applications, drivers and such.

Third - get any updates needed for step 2.

Forth - Once completed create an updated image. (1 primary and 2 Secondary)

The time imbetween recreateing a new setup disk is based on updates from the time of the current disk and software updates.

As for any documents and personal files i have it seprate from my windows installation for the purpose of not loosing them to a needed format. It is backed up with RAID.

Here is the setup

Hard Disk 1 - 37 GB SATA (WD Raptor) Windows installation and applications

(RAID 1)

Hard Disk 2 - 500 GB SATA WD - Personal files

Hard Disk 3 - 500 GB SATA WD - Personal files

(RAID 1)

Hard Disk 4 - 320 GB PATA WD - Personal files

Hard Disk 5 - 320 GB PATA WD - Personal files

Here is the setup

Hard Disk 1 - 37 GB SATA (WD Raptor) Windows installation and applications

(RAID 1)

Hard Disk 2 - 500 GB SATA WD - Personal files

Hard Disk 3 - 500 GB SATA WD - Personal files

(RAID 1)

Hard Disk 4 - 320 GB PATA WD - Personal files

Hard Disk 5 - 320 GB PATA WD - Personal files

omg, thats nuts

i use 2x74gb raptors in raid0 for windows + apps

then a 320gb drive for stuff, 2x250gb for videos, 80gb for music, and 2x320gb (non raid) for backup

Since I got Acronis True Image, I've used that. Its too much hassle to reinstall everything again.

Same here. I also plan on using DeepFreeze in the future so nothing quirky happens to my system over time.

The process of what i do it to ensure system updates are all current within an allowable amount and program updates, so i do not have to waste time for update downloads.

Which would you have to restore from a image of your install that would require 30 some updates and programs that require other long list of updates or an current image of windows that has updates intergrated that only requires 6 or less.

As far as RAID0 for installation disk, it is nice to have but when one of your drives dies, then it is off to the store or online to find the exact model. Although the same could be said for my own drive but in all truth, why would i need a raid0 for my installation disk, only to perhaps make my system faster for games and CAD, and such.

Note here is my MOBO connectors

2 SATA

2 SATA - RAID

2 PATA

2 PATA - RAID

all in all i can have 12 drives on my system.

all on my motherboard, no pci/pci-e controller cards.

The process of what i do it to ensure system updates are all current within an allowable amount and program updates, so i do not have to waste time for update downloads.

Which would you have to restore from a image of your install that would require 30 some updates and programs that require other long list of updates or an current image of windows that has updates intergrated that only requires 6 or less.

As far as RAID0 for installation disk, it is nice to have but when one of your drives dies, then it is off to the store or online to find the exact model. Although the same could be said for my own drive but in all truth, why would i need a raid0 for my installation disk, only to perhaps make my system faster for games and CAD, and such.

Note here is my MOBO connectors

2 SATA

2 SATA - RAID

2 PATA

2 PATA - RAID

all in all i can have 12 drives on my system.

all on my motherboard, no pci/pci-e controller cards.

I am just curious. What make & model of motherboard are you using? How much ram & power supply

capacity? Is it a server board?

This apart I always have several copies of windows running on my system. One for my normal work which I never disturb. Others for testing new software, new uodate patches, freshly prepared cd/dvd , visiting dangerous sites, etc.

Never use imaging on my own machines since my configuration keeps changing constantly & hardly have the need to reinstall on my main working installation.

I reinstall from scratch, but have developed a checklist of items and serial sheet for all applications. It's a little tedious, but I don't really perform the clean installations too often.

I tried something similar to this, but then I discovered MSFN's unattended installs and registry tweaks. I rather use registry tweaks to easily customize the system during an unattended install.

I still create an image, however, after my unattended install because it's faster.

I reinstall everything. I started making unattended cds 5-6 months ago, but my system just changes too often for me to have a concrete install cd. I would use imaging, but it’s too late. Either way, I format around every year-year and a half, so all I really so is put it to its basic original state, then install the programs I need (no games, etc)

Works for me, and it's something to do while I'm working on my homework (hey, 3 hours without computer distractions, it’s great :D)