Home Network Problem

mini12

Hello people, heres my problem:

Recently reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 without sp2 on Computer A, so i have install sp2 from windows update. Computer B is a laptop with windows xp with sp2 preinstalled.

On both Computer A and B, i have used Network Setup Wizard, all installed sucessfully, both have the same workgroup name and files and printer sharing enabled. Both can ping each other IP address, localhost and 127.0.0.1.

The problem is on Computer A, when i go select 'View Workgroup Computers' from 'My Network Places', I cannot see any computer. No Computer A or Band theres no error messages. But on Computer B I can see only Computer B and no A.

I have tried everything in my knowledge with no success. Can anyone help?

Here's some other information about the computers:

Both use Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2,

Both have only Windows Firewall enabled, no other firewall installed,

Internet on both computers is working,

Internet is provided by a cable modem which is connected to a Belkin Wireless Router which provides Internet for both Computers. Computer is the Wired Computer and Computer B is the Wireless,

Both have NetBios over TCP/IP enabled,

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Mini12

You know the actual computer names of Computer A and B, right? If not go into System Properties (press WinKey + Pause-Break) and go to the 'Computer Name' tab.

From either computer A or B, try to access the other computer's shared resources (files and printers) by doing the following:

Press Start, then Run (or WinKey + R).

In the Run dialog box, type the name of the computer you are trying to access preceded by \\

For example, if the computer you are trying to access is called COMP1, type:

\\COMP1

and then press Enter. This *should* bring up all the shared resources of 'COMP1'. Or you will get an error message...

Hope this helps.

- Taj

Hello People, PROBLEM SOLVED.

For future references, the problem was the SYSTEM group policy had no access to Remote Access. The way I resolved this was by:

Start - Run - Type %SYSTEMDRIVE%\WINDOWS\system32\Com\comexp.msc

When opened select:

Component Service - Computers - Right-Click My Computer - Properties - Select COM Security Tab - Under Access Permissions Select Edit Default...

Make sure all group policies are allowed both local and remote access and Press OK.

Do the same in Launch and Activation Permissions - Edit Default...

Restart the Computer

Hopefully this will resolved your problem as well

Thanks for the help

Mini12

I have the same problem as you. Both computers using the same workgroup and computer browser service is enabled. Sometimes i can see both computers, sometimes i can only see mine and some other times i can't see a single one.

I shall try this method later because i can't restart my computer now. Talk to you later then. :)

The DCOMbobulator is not to blame. I have DCom disabled but the COM default settings are unaffected.

As to the problem of not being able to see other computers in My Network Places, many people including myself have found adding IPX protocol (in addition to TCP/IP) solves the problem.

The DCOMbobulator is not to blame. I have DCom disabled but the COM default settings are unaffected.

As to the problem of not being able to see other computers in My Network Places, many people including myself have found adding IPX protocol (in addition to TCP/IP) solves the problem.

I've already tried that too, but i can't seem to find the IPX protocol to add, where can i find it? If you don't mind me asking of course.

(Is it the Nwlink IPS/SPX/Netbios compatible transfer protocol?)

Edited by phantasia