Windows ME, Goes Wrong After Certain Part Of Setup

Vinnie

Hello.

Out of all the years I have been installing 9x Systems, this has never happened to me before but, On one of my old machines I decided to upgrade the Hard Drive from 10 Gb to a 30 Gb Seagate Drive. Anyway I'm half way through installing Windows ME. Untill it gets to the stage of Setting up Plug & Play hardware. It does this fine, reboots & then everything goes so slow it's unusable. I let set up complete. Restarted, booting into Windows took around 5-10 minutes. Weird. So I installed all my drivers. I was about to do Windows Update when I thought it's too slow to start that.

I tried another hard drive, Installed fine & quick & booted fast, So it's not my other hardware. Made me think it must be the drive thats damaged. So I Ran the Drive test tool on Ultimate Boot Cd. Passed. Installed Windows 98 SE On it. Ran Fine, Tried XP on it, Installed & Ran Fine. The Drive according to the tests I did were all error free.

I thought this was strange at this point. So Does anyone know what's causing this, I find this a very strange problem. And It's not my drive at fault, or it seems not. Does anybody know what's going on very strange problem I think, It's not my other hardware as it Installed & Ran fine when I tried another drive. And it's not the drive because the other OS's & Tests I ran were fine.

Of all the years of doing 9x installs I have never seen this before. Does anybody know what's going on?

Edited by Vinnie