Computer Expenses

Aegis

Computer Expenses  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How much money did you spend on your current computer?

• $100+
    • $300+
    • $700+
    • $1000+
    • $1200+
    • $1500+
    • $2000+
    • $2500+
    • $3000+
    • $5000+

Spent at least $2000 on my computer, including the monitor. The worst feeling after you wasted all that money is when you start wondering if it was really worth it. I remember I used to be a hard-core gamer who always lagged with his old FX5200 computer, so I decided to stick in a 7900GT in my new box. Now I'm really doubting that decision, since I don't play games much anymore, and that $300 could've been spent to upgrade to 4GB of RAM (would be nice to run 7 virtual machines at once :)).

I do alot of Video, Audio editing, specialized in multi-visual 3D layout residential and commerical building structured wiring for audio/video and communications. The ability to make these layouts fast is priorty. As they say, time is money, and some cases it may be the other way.

Just 10 computers of 620 US$ each ;).

Soon there will be more upgrades like 7600GTs and 1GB RAM more for each computer. I´m spending more in WiFi now for the people that live around me (3 miles range, 4.6km), I will be there ISP :P.

840€ (less than 700$ in fact) and absolutely no lag in games thanks to msfn's members. :)

Pretty silent. CPU is A64 3200+, core at 42°C after boot and installation of latest Speedfan. So I'll probably overclock it.

And do you need 4GB RAM to run 7 VMs at the same time ?

I plan on running 5VMs with only 2GB thanks to nlite.

(btw, if you have 3.8GB RAM you will be able to run more VMs than if you have 4.1GB because of Physical Adress Extension)

:P

My current one about $700 with out the mointor

My next one i'm building will about $1700 -$2200, I had Guessed appraised done it was about $3500 if you were to buy it from a company (ex. Dell, compaq, etc.)

Edited by computerMan

840€ (less than 700$ in fact) and absolutely no lag in games thanks to msfn's members. :)

Pretty silent. CPU is A64 3200+, core at 42°C after boot and installation of latest Speedfan. So I'll probably overclock it.

(btw, if you have 3.8GB RAM you will be able to run more VMs than if you have 4.1GB because of Physical Adress Extension)

I try to allocate at least 512MB of RAM to my VM's at all times. If I had only waited a few more months, I could've gotten the 4GB of RAM and dual Woodcrest processors for the same amount of money :(. Guess patience is a virtue. And I'm surprised so many people spend $5000+ on computers...I was expecting that to group to be the smallest :D.

i think mines was ~2100$ when i bought it. ive bought alot of cooling crap for it since which is prolly another 100$. and by the end of this year i plan on getting an auzentech x-purity and the logitech z5500 which will put me above 2500$.

i didnt spend anything, i got it for christmas :P

but i know how much we have put into this computer though. it comes out to just over 900 dollars.

the monitor was 300 (19inch LCD samsung)

case : 60 bucks

ram, mobo, cpu all were about 150 bucks

the video card was 150

the speakers were about 40

hdd was around 100

the keyboard mouse combo was about 75

and the desk was 40

its not a bad computer, for what it is and can do, im perfectly happy with it.

AMD athlon XP 1800+, 80gb drive, 512mb ram, ati radeon 9200se, 19inch lcd, logitech wireless mouse keyboard, CA speakers, and a few other accessories. the total cost was just under 1000.

i wont be upgrading for a long time ill tell you :) i love this computer :wub::lol:

Note for myself : 1.27$ = 1€. Not the other way round. :blushing:

So it was 840*1.27 = 1066€ and this varies with currency rates (1.26 instead of 1.27 changes by approx. 10$ :ph34r: )

:blushing:

And instead of buying 1 expensive computer, I'd buy 3 less expensive and keep them updated.

A friend of mine used to buy components and resell them on eBay whenever he wanted to change without loosing more than a few bucks (would sometime even earns money). This way he managed to have an updated computer during at least 3 years without paying a lot.