How do I adjust the file size of an image?

I would like to make an image for example 83kb in size smaller than that possibly 15kb or something. How can I make the file size smaller? I know you can easily do this in photoshop but I don't have that.

Anyone have any suggestions/idea?

Thanks.

well, there are some online serves that optimize images, or you could change the file type...

.bmp (biggest)

.png

.jpg

.gif (smallest)

just keep that in mind when choosing file types :)

you can save a bmp file in ms-paint right to jpeg or gif or png, although the quality of gif and jpg are questionable, they do work. the best way to do this sort of thing is on your own computer, its the fastest and most reliable, just incase you accidentally close your browser.

post back if you need more help.

edit : what do you want to change, the file size or the picture size? the file size is how much disk space it uses and picture size is the dimensions of the picture.

Edited by Cygnus

the only program i know of that will show you the file size after you save it is photoshop. if you want, send me the file, ill make it around 15kb so you can see how it will be, then go from there.

the only program i know of that will show you the file size after you save it is photoshop. if you want, send me the file, ill make it around 15kb so you can see how it will be, then go from there.

I think IrfanView does this as well. You can resample the image until you get the file size that you want. :)