University Undergraduate Degrees

gamehead200

Hey everyone,

Because this forum is full of very knowledgable people, possibly engineers and maybe even physicists and such :P, I decided to drop this question here and was wondering if anyone could kindly explain to me what these undergraduate degrees consist of and if they consist mostly of the same courses:

- Computer Engineering

- Computer Science

- Electrical Engineering

The reason I'm asking is because I would like to go into a computer program in university, just not sure which one would suit me best and I would also like people's points of view/opinions on the different programs. I have heard that Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering both offer most of the same courses, but I'm not sure what the key differences are between the three programs. Maybe there are other programs out there that would probably interest someone like myself, so if you know of a different program, I'd really like to know what it is.

Anyway, suggestions and explanations would be greatly appreciated. :)

Each of those degree fields have simular and diffienret class requirements, and the school you attend also may have added class requirements.

Computer Science and Computer Engineering have a 40-50% base class requirement, meaning they share some bases classes.

When i was in school i get my degree/certificate in the following

Web Technologies

Computer Science

Networking Technologies

Web and Networking shared a 75% class ratio, so i decided to aquire both at the same time.

Some classe also offer certificates as well, such as CompTIA A+ Hardware, A+ Software, Network+, Server+, and so on. However the cost to attend the testing program for CompTIA certificates is high. Depending on your school. Bases cost for a testing vouchor is around 145 dollars. The vouchor is good for one test. IF you fail the test, you must buy another vouchor to retake it. You can take it up to 3 times in a year, per test.

Example: You take the A+ Hardware 3 times in a month, you must wait 1 yr before the next one. However if you wish to take the other CompTIA tests. you can do so as long as you do not us up your 3.

I took the following certificates before or during college, A+ Hardware, A+ Software, Network+.

Networking offered 4 different routes

CCNA, Linux, MCSA, MCSE

after the general clases so did two: CCNA, MCSA

For complete details on the classes and the shared ratio, check on-line at your local schools in the area.

Edited by Shindo_Hikaru

I can't comment on those degree subjects but you have to consider whether you want to go to a uni in Montréal only, or the rest of Canada, or the US or further afield. Universities do differ somewhat in what they offer for the same degree and in their requirements.

I'd strongly recommend you actually visit the departments in Montréal or elsewhere, talk to students and professors. Look at their facilities within the faculty and the university as a whole. Find out about their research record.

mike, since you went to pre U, go to queens. i'm probably gonna go to mcgill. I heard from one of my moms friends that her nephew went to mcgill, and he got invited to go work with microsoft in california. He said that a lot of companies look at mcgill students for possible employees. To bad you went to Pre U and didn't keep ur options open like i did :P. I can go out of province after one year, or stay in province for 2 (stupid CEGEP).

Personally, i would stay in canada for my first degree, either go to mcgill, queens, waterloo or U of T. Their all good math universities.

Edited by sven

mike, since you went to pre U, go to queens. i'm probably gonna go to mcgill. I heard from one of my moms friends that her nephew went to mcgill, and he got invited to go work with microsoft in california. He said that a lot of companies look at mcgill students for possible employees. To bad you went to Pre U and didn't keep ur options open like i did :P. I can go out of province after one year, or stay in province for 2 (stupid CEGEP).

Personally, i would stay in canada for my first degree, either go to mcgill, queens, waterloo or U of T. Their all good math universities.

Ummm... Microsoft recruits at Waterloo! ;) That's like my first choice in Canada! ;)

Computer engineering and Electrical engineering do share a common base (basic circuitry), but what you do with that afterwards is where the difference lies.

Computer engineering focusses more on logic and hardware programming, while electical engineering has more of a lean towards signals and communications.

Computer Science is totally different. There's a lot more programming in computer science than there is in any of the engineering degrees.

That's the simple expanation of it. Of course, if you apply yourself and work hard, you can do pretty much anything with your degree, since a proper degree should teach you how to think... not regurgitate. ;)

Computer Science can vary so much, just depends on the school itself.

For instance, when I got my CS degree it was part of the College of Engineering - however some Universities have their CS department as part of Arts and Sciences.

Some schools have CS focus HEAVILY on programming and web programming, where others will have it geared a little more towards OS and systems programming...it really just varies. You can get some generic ideas about a program, but you are best off talking to the actual school itself, and more importantly, some graduates of the programs.

Zxian hit it on the nose.

You go to school and try to learn how to tackle problems and challenges. Everything you use in school will probably be outdated in a sense by the time you get to work - but being able to learn new things fast is the key.

But really the most important thing to learn now is this - network network network. I don't mean cat5 and fiber, I mean social networking. When you graduate college and want a job, it's rarely what you know and what you can do as much as WHO YOU KNOW that can get your foot into the door.

It's sad, it's pathetic, It's reality.