Explorer.exe loading during wpi installation

I think the topic title says it all. Since i've updated my WPI to 5.x, clean install ofcourse. the windows explorer is loading the desktop during the wpi installation process. I've got no command or whatsoever loading explorer.exe anywhere. I am using wpi version 5.1 at the moment.

i tested a bit with the settings, it doesnt matter what settings i use. restartcomputer/donotloaddesktop are set to false at the moment, since i'm running scripts after the wpi installation has finished. donotloaddesktop only shortens the reboot time if im right?

i've checked the logfile but couldn't find anything strange, just 'success' installations.

any clue where i should start looking? thnx in advance.

I think the topic title says it all. Since i've updated my WPI to 5.x, clean install ofcourse. the windows explorer is loading the desktop during the wpi installation process. I've got no command or whatsoever loading explorer.exe anywhere. I am using wpi version 5.1 at the moment.

i tested a bit with the settings, it doesnt matter what settings i use. restartcomputer/donotloaddesktop are set to false at the moment, since i'm running scripts after the wpi installation has finished. donotloaddesktop only shortens the reboot time if im right?

i've checked the logfile but couldn't find anything strange, just 'success' installations.

any clue where i should start looking? thnx in advance.

I always first install Windows, install all drivers and reboot...then I start WPI from command.

So I alway have my desktop while running WPI.

But isn't donotloaddesktop to be set to tue, if you don't want to load the desktop?

Edited by Pliek

Maybe you should ask sadicq for solution, helped me many times. :thumbup

I never used WPI this way, so unfortunatly my help stops here...Succes with WPI.

See you later, somewere in the forums.

Edited by Pliek

:sneaky: lol. just lol. Sorry guys but I'm really busy right now. I read the topic already but I didn't have the time to look at this.

I'll try it tonight if I find some spare time.

Hmm, one question though: how are you launching wpi (from runonceex or how?).

Explorer.exe should not start whatever DoNotLoadDesktop is set to.

That setting prevents the process from starting after WPI just finished installing programs. And it stops it by restarting the computer or by shutting it down right before explorer should load.

I bet that he reads his own forum Pliek, so that's why i'm posting here :P

Thats right......need vaction soon....................... B)

Edited by Pliek

It's part of a multi-boot dvd with 4 different standalone wpi's ( nl/nl-oem/en/en-oem, with all different stuff in it )

I'm launching wpi through a cmd in winnt.sif

[GUIRunOnce]
"%systemdrive%\temp\wpi-nl.cmd"

wpi-nl.cmd:

@ECHO OFF

REM Looking for CD-ROM
for %%i in (D E F G H I J K L M) do if exist %%i:\BOOTCD.IMG set CDROM=%%i:

REM Hide this command window.
%CDROM%\SETUP\TOOLS\cmdow.exe @ /hid

REM Default Registry tweaks
REGEDIT.EXE /S "%systemdrive%\temp\regtweaks.reg"

REM Start WPI
start /wait %windir%\system32\mshta.exe "%CDROM%\SETUP\wpi\wpi-nl\wpi.hta"

REM Remove Default Autostarts
REGEDIT.EXE /S "%CDROM%\SETUP\WPI\registry\disstartups.reg"

REM Run Cleanup Script
%CDROM%\SETUP\WPI\cleanup\cleanup.cmd

EXIT

//edit, could it be related to the nlited winxp install. it seems to start some kind of "apply settings box", which applies settings for windows media player, internet explorer and stuff, and after this, it launches the explorer.

Edited by TRuLLi

» [GuiRunOnce]The GuiRunOnce section is where you set the paths to batch files that run when Windows XP Setup has finished. These batch files run when the Admin account (or your own user account) is logged in.

I'm not sure this is the easiest solution, but this is what I'm using:

First, remove

[GUIRunOnce]
"%systemdrive%\temp\wpi-nl.cmd"

from your winnt.sif.

Then make sure you have OemPreinstall=Yes in your winnt.sif.

Now in your OEM Distribution folders, create a file called cmdlines.txt.

You can read more about it here.

The content should be this:

[Commands]
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

Now, in the same folder, create a file called RunOnceEx.cmd with the following content:

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\WIN51 set CDROM=%%i:
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\001 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\WPI.cmd" /f
EXIT

That's assuming you have wpi.cmd at the root of your cd. If you don't correct it accordingly.

Explanation:

because RunOnce was not doing its job, we removed it from the winnt.sif.

Instead we called cmlines.txt that gets called at the T-12 state.

That file (cmdlines.txt) calls RunOnceEx which will do nothing more than adding your wpi.cmd to the RunOnceEx. So note that RunOnceEx executes before explorer.exe loads, while RunOnce executes after.

So, to summarize: Winnt.sif -> cmdlines.txt -> RunOnceEx.cmd -> wpi.cmd .

Edited by sadicq

thnx for the fast help, i'm gonna try it right away :).

will keep you posted.

//edit

edited the files of all installations and now i'm getting the following error, after clicking the start button in wpi.hta

generate.js.png

Edited by TRuLLi

you should have made another post, because I barely saw a change in this thread.

try applying the fixes located here . I'm sorry I can't say directly what the problem is, but I don't understand what the error message says. If you can find the fix in that thread, let us know.

the strange thing is, everything worked (except for the explorer popping up during install).

then i followed sadicq advice to change to cmdlines.txt and now i get the error posted in post #10. no files got changed, wpi starts smooth from cd-rom, as it did before... i don't get that..

none of the current bugfixes in the thread changed anything to the problem, or were not relevant

Do you think you can wait two more days? 5.3 should be out these days. Let's hope that this error is related to the other bugs we were trying to fix. It's highly possible that the new version will fix it.

So, I suggest you wait until tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

The code we see now will probably be modified and if there error persists, I'll look into it then.