Office 2000 update problems

jayroller

I'm trying to update office 2000 Premium to SR1 and beyond, but when I attempt to apply the SR1 patch, it gives the following error:

Error 1328: Error applying patch to file c:\config.msi\pt344.tmp. (The file name is always ptxxx.tmp) It has probably been updated by other means, and can no longer modified by this patch. For more information, contact your patch vendor.

I've been through the MS knowledgebase, and found a couple of similar problems, but not mine. I've tried the patch on 2 installations of O2K, one under 98se - the missus's pc - and 2003 Standard, and the 2003 install was clean and fresh, so no files have been altered. One workaround suggested renaming the offending file, but as the file in question is actually created during the patch setup, I can't. "Retry" gives the same error over and over, "Ignore" continues for a well then exits with the message that the installation has not been updated , "Cancel", well, cancels it.

Anyone know of this problem, or have any suggestions?

Is the Office legit?

I have seen simlar problems trying to run Sp1 and SP2 updates on cracked versions.

In most cases you have to slipstream it into a the Cds raw data, and use a particular patch....

If its all legit..im not sure what the deal is.

:)

|Drew|

Slight Update - clicking "Ignore" at the error, this time the setup completed and said all was successful. Of course I didnt believe it, and rightly so - but what I can't figure out is why it can't update a file its created - unless the file its creating is a backup it has created of the file to be updated, to update (works if you read it slowly :D ). Ah well, maybe now she'll give in and just let me install Office xp for her......

The cd used for the 98se install was a genuine shiny MS disc, the one I used under 2003 was, er, ahem, created for backup purposes from a different source :rolleyes: - different serials for each - same error from both. Oh well, it took MS 3 goes to actually send me the SP disks, so guess I shouldn't really be suprised.

I never had this problem with OpenOffice......... :)