xp pro upgrade

officentral

I have a Dell Notebook which was reman. and came with XP Media Center. I bought an XP Pro upgrade and when I go to install it it states that the "Product key does not match". I triple checked the characters. I also disable Norton Internet Security & Antivirus. The Upgrade came in a sealed package.

I have never had this trouble before with an upgrade to XP Pro. :(

Any ideas?

Norton on a laptop???

That's like putting two tons of rock in a 1/4 ton pickup.

Talk about Overload! I'd get rid of that thing, ASAP!

Does the upgrade even try to load?

Since Media Center is a newer release of Windows than Pro, that may be a problem.

Upgrades are designed to go from an old version to a newer version of windows.

M$ is probably the only ones to answer your question.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is an operating system that is only available on Media Center PCs. Because of special hardware requirements, Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PCs are available only from Microsoft PC Manufacturer partners.

Their maybe other means to carry out what you are attemping but you can not directly downgrade from Media Center to XP Pro, Home, or Server editions.

I have a Dell Notebook which was reman. and came with XP Media Center. I bought an XP Pro upgrade and when I go to install it it states that the "Product key does not match". I triple checked the characters. I also disable Norton Internet Security & Antivirus. The Upgrade came in a sealed package.

I have never had this trouble before with an upgrade to XP Pro. :(

Any ideas?

Err do you know that Media Center is an XP pro? The only thing it can't do is joining a domain but for the rest it's identical.