Extra Preamp for low-volume file playback

SilentRob

Howzit goin?

Something that's been bugging me about some video files (usually DVD rips) is that the volume is unacceptably low. Even with the player's, Windows' and my speakers' volume cranked up to full blast, the sound coming out is what I would expect with the software amps at half volume and my speakers barely on.

I understand that it has something to do with the already low volume of the AC3 on DVDs... but some people don't amp the sound during the conversion to AVI/MPG, whatnot... So, my question is... is there a piece of software that will bump up the playback volume another few notches, without me having to extract, amplify, and reintegrate the sound? If not, I'll just use VirtualDub... just trying to not have to do that for 1/5 of the videos I watch.

Thanks,

SilentRob

• 4 weeks later...

I use SimpleDivX to rip DVD's. It uses AC3 Filter, and it has an option in the interface to Normalize volume in "midnight mode". I assume this is just a switch for one of the filters that it calls ... it may be in Besweet though, and not AC3 Filter. I would just use SimpleDivX, its much easier :)