Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

And... in the Lite version DX9.0c is packed and was "not found" during the scan. It must be "unRar'd" into the appropriate folder the same way as with the Full version to be found/installed.

Last but not least, 4DOS is ONLY a problem due to

(1) not using "comspec" throughout (occasional usage of COMMAND.COM instead)

(2) many places in code do not issue ">nul" at the end of commands (e.g. DEL, DIR, etc)

Otherwise, the existing BAT files DO function EXACTLY as originally intended.

Side note: Uninstall does not delete ALL files/folders!

Oops! I'm sooo disorganized. I'll fix all the bugs for the next version. Thanks for the tips re the code -- i will do as you suggest, they are all great suggestions ... my problem is too many fingers in too many pies and i'm getting a bit erratic and missing good things to work on and include. Please keep bugging me and suggesting stuff, its all good.

I truly wish i knew about 4DOS at the very start. A lot of the structure of the code is based upon NOT having easy FOR-NEXT loops and all the rest, and i'm not too confident about junking large parts of the code in order to make use of the new functions, but from what you're telling me, its not too much work to make it compatible -- the COMMAND.COMs can be easily converted to %COMSPEC%s and i can go around and add all the >nul s to the one's that are missing so if that's all ... are you sure the other utilities in \bin will work in 4DOS?

re: your edit ... the search & report function on the initial menu page was designed to use the default settings, if the user wants to search for everything (including stuff that is weird and they probably won't be interested in) then they can easily set that up in the modules section and start the report from there. I thought the default search was more useful being accessible from the first page.

re: the report count problem -- i think i lost you somewhere, i'm still in the dark about what the problem is! please enlighten this doddering old fool....

re: the uninstaller doesn't delete all the files, yep, there's some still left behind, but they should all only be user created files that they might want to keep. The main thing for me is that the bulk of the 241 MB are deleted --- although i will admit actually trying to get my uninstaller to do a full delete but to no avail. I will try again..

If I choose any option, I get a Box, labelled START_ME, with the following message:

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be terminated."

When I click on details, I get the following:

Fault Location 00C9: 0E57

Interrupts in service: None

Can anyone help me please??

Well, you did ask nicely so OK... let's see if we can't get some auto-patchin' happenin'.

1) worst-case scenario: you can always manually install the updates you need. All the files are in \files\hotfixes and it should be reasonably obvious how to start the installations - for most of them just double-click each file. If you visit this list you'll be able to tell which file is which due to the system i used of naming all the hotfixes by their knowledge base article number.

2) please check that your hardware is functioning properly - ie a corrupted hard drive could possibly cause the message you've seen, as will bad RAM memory. THe best tool in my opinion is the Ultimate Boot CD (just google for it) which has all the hardware tools under the sun. The message does include the word 'Fault' in it, which suggests a problematic hardware component. I have included lots of error-checking into the program and the message you are getting is not a case i've coded for --- it's not a 'missing file' type error, it's a 'the computer is trying to do something it can't and it's complaining about it' type error.

3) just double-checking: every single option (from the list of options from A - W) gives that result? That tells me quite a bit, if so.

4) can you give me a list of the hardware specs: CPU, chipset on m/b, amount of RAM, hard disk configuration, & amount of hard disk space, should do it.

soporific / irishpancake :hello: :

One reply at a time (separate replies, each post; this one for irishpancake...):

I agree that the problem sounds like hardware. The code in AP (after cursory inspection) does not do anything strange to cause this type of error.

Vague recollections of the nature of this type of error, in particular memory. From what I can find, an XPS-D300 is a 300mhz PII with varying amounts of RAM. And, unfortunately, Win98 is never too clear on indicating that Hardware is the problem when this format of message is issued. The processor is MORE than sufficient and just checked a lowly 16MB ram for running AP "Scan For Missing" and it did NOT fail, although you should realize that Win98 really ought to have a minimum of 64MB to run efficiently; 32 is the specified minimum so anything between would be sufficient (although the more the better).

A link to Your PC (generic Dxx series specs, etc):

http://lyberty.com/tech/sysspecs/dell_xps_d300.html

I will tell you that during building one of my old PC's that I had similar problems with one of my 32MB (size being irrelevant) sticks. Windows just kept going "south" (a slang loosely meaning ge-fudged and giving up). SO... I downloaded one particular piece of software, MEMTEST86, and ran it. Sure enough, the problem was memory. After swapping the bad stick, everything was fine.

As per soporific's suggestion about the Ultimate Boot CD, I must agree. However, having Dial-Up, I might suggest just getting Memtest86 (listed on the indicated site) and run it. It WILL tell you if a stick is bad. If you have more than one stick, remove the indicated bad stick (if one is bad), swap the remaining stick(s) into the appropriate slots and try again. Also, just for funzies, just try removing/reinserting (reseating) the sticks.

The only other thing I can imagine is that you somehow have a corrupt CHOICE.COM located in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM". It can be re-extracted from the WIN98_25.CAB (ref. LAYOUT1.INF found in PRECOPY2.CAB also found in C:\WINDOWS\INF). Note also that a bad stick of memory may possibly allow installation of the OS, but will corrupt some modules during the install.

"We might also provide PC support as appropriate and as possible within the context; besides, we just LOVE to work on computers!" (although it may be better to PM back-and-forth if the indications become hardware-related) :D

soporific :hello: :

re: your edit ... the search & report function
Ok, clears that up...
re: the report count problem
This was in reference to billygoat's previous posts about the erroneous(?) file-counts, which apparently leads back to the first quote; I guess this old fool can also be confused(???).
And... in the Lite version DX9.0c is packed
!SEE NEXT POST!

Had MS Network signon... (left notation in so Eck's next post was not confusing)

Will re-test this bugger without the Sign-on and see what happens. !SEE NEXT POST!

Jeez, all I wanted was to fully update these old PC-gifties... How did I get wrapped around the axle with AP (a rhetorical question)? Just brain-dead, I guess :wacko: !

Lastly (re: 4DOS), if you REALLY want to, go ahead and mod the BAT files as appropriate. You can flip/flop between DOS7 and 4DOS simply by renaming the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS back-and-forth then rebooting. 4DOS only "replaces" the shell with equivalent DOS6x/7x functionality plus additional features. Note, however that the output of some (FEW) commands (eg DIR) will be formatted differently and will definitely cause code problems if they depend on a specific format (eg "DIR x >dir.txt"/"NSET var from dir.txt" sequence). This COULD be worked around by simply re-checking which shell is being used OR using a different method (eg VBS). OTHERWISE, don't bother, just keep us all posted as to any fixes, etc., and I will graciously accept responsibility for the appropriate mods ("personal use", remember?) and keep a Very Simple Post back to you as to my progress as a "collaborative effort". If I am successful (The Train That Could), I will be more that happy to pass the modded files back to you for your approval. Also, a nice thing would be to post link(s) to a separate MODS-Only file (as you used to do) so I might be able to use my Comparator to isolate any specific changes.

Apologies for long explanations (a personality fault)... Would (in some cases) it be better to PM back-and-forth? Perhaps direct e-mail instead (how does that work?)...

Edit: edited for content... see next post...

Edited by submix8c

If you're just using Ethernet Cable or DSL internet without needing to logon to networks and such, then even though Client For Microsoft Networks is there and needed for the ethernet driver you do not need to login to Windows with it.

In the Network control panel switch the drop down for login to Windows Login. You'll no longer get the login dialog box on Startup but you'll still be connected. Most ISP's don't require you to login.

I set mine up with Windows Login and it works fine.

Eck / soporific :hello: :

Eck: Thx, but was already aware... just a "DUH!" on my part...

soporific:

Using Windows Logon, Reloaded HDD (clean); Installed AP v1.95PR2 Lite

*** RENAMED DX9SETUP.EXE to DXSETUP.EXE (has "/SILENT" embedded) ***

(truncated for brevity)

*** Auto-Patcher for Windows 98se ***

Press A to immediately fully auto-patch this computer

Stared at screen whole time (ouch!)...

-Message in DOS box during MP9+Codecs Install: "2nd installation file not found" (paraphrased)

-Unicows refused to install (this was noted in others' previous posts), so I just skipped past it.

-After Service9x Install/Reboot Desktop reverted to WebView; reverted back after next Reboot (oddball!)

now checking Report (per your info; snapshots truncated for brevity):

***** Auto-Patcher Modules Menu Page 1 *****

A ... select all choices

Also note that this does not select the following updates:

Title: Update to Allow Drives over 137Gb (IBM portables with removable disks)

Reason: the other version of this update has been selected

Title: Maximus Decim Native USB Drivers

Reason: you need to prepare your computer before-hand to install this.

Title: SYSTEM.INI tweaks

Reason: these must be set using the in-built tweak installer utility

***** Auto-Patcher Modules Menu Page 2 *****

5 ... Windows Optional Components .............[ O ] is set to INSTALL ... 5

6 ... Visual Basic Runtimes ...................[ O ] is set to INSTALL ... 6

***** Windows Optional Components Module Menu *****

1 ... Windows Networking Tool (from Windows XP) ...... is set to INSTALL

2 ... System Policy Editor for Windows 98 ............ is set to

3 ... Username & Organisation Name Change Tool ....... is set to

4 ... Euro Conversion Tool (for locales within the EU) is set to

***** Visual Basic Runtimes Module Menu *****

1 ... Visual Basic 5.0 (sp3) Runtimes ................ is set to

2 ... Visual Basic 6.0 (sp6) Runtimes ................ is set to

3 ... Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls Update ........ is set to

Above is ODD (note the blanks..)!
The following list of updates were not found on this computer:

*** Recommended Tweaks module:

1. EnabMenu: the Enable... <- opposite option was installed

2. SYS_INI: SYSTEM.INI... <- intentionally selected to show it

*** Critical & Recommended System Updates module:

3. Unicows: Layer for ... <- install problem; bypassed

4. ScanFrag: Update of ... <- it did not install

5. UShell98: Unofficial Fix... <- it did not install

6. NativUSB: Maximus Decim... <- intentionally selected to show it

? Is the above correct (ref. first quote) ?

On the surface, this appears to indicate that the Master Fully Patch is different than the one in Modules Menu Page 1; is this intentional?

edit: cleaned post out due to retest... next post for Full Version to come... l8tr

Edited by submix8c

OK, I just did a clean install of Win98SE and then AutoPatched it before doing anything else. Some thoughts/questions....

1. Another tip for people who want to run the patcher and not get bother in the hour of rebooting. In addition to multi-booters setting the Win98SE partition as default, remind people they need to go into Networking and change the Primary Logon to Windows Logon instead of Network Logon. Otherwise, at the first reboot, it will stop at the Network logon even if they haven't used a password. (Can you tweak that when the autopatcher starts?)

2. TweakUI installs without installing it's two help files (tweakui.cnt and tweakui.hlp) in the Windows\Help directory. It may be something weird about my icons, but your tweakui.exe is showing as a RAR file whereas the Microsoft download is a ZIP file. Actually, you could include the contents uncompressed as it contains 4 files (tweakui .cnt .cpl .hlp and .inf) totalling ONLY 162KB and the INF will install it without trouble! Just a thought. (For those missing the help files, just unpack them and put them in the Windows\Help directory.

3. After patching today, I tried Windows Update and it reported 2 criticals and 38 Win98/Win98SE updates.

a. The criticals are:

• Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB916281)
  • Security Update for Windows 98 (KB891711)

b. The Win98/Win98SE include:

• 34 multi-language updates plus the Euro tool (not needed)
  • Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1
  • Windows Critical Update Notification 4.0
  • Agent 2.0

So do I need any of them (apart from language/Euro)? I included .NET version 2.0 in the autopatch and it is showing on the uninstall list so I don't see why 1.1 showed up - is that needed for some strange backwards compatibility thing? Presumably the Critical Update thing is long past doing anything useful.

What about the Critical Updates? Haven't they been superceded by others in the patcher?

Hope the tips help and thanks for any answers

(Note: the 98toMe web folder thing needed a close and restart of Explorer after switching off Web Folders BEFORE browsing to the Windows or Program Files directories otherwise they were turned back on - strange WinMe thing I think)

jeepers, there's lots to go thru ... i have copied all the text and will go over it when i'm slacking at work tomorrow. I'm at a place without internet access, and at a workstation locked down so nothing works ... except for the USB ports. Heh.

briton/soporific :hello: :

TweakUI installs without installing it's two help files...
Thanks for the info... hadn't noticed. Perhaps soporific can "fix" this as you explained.
Note: the 98toMe web folder thing...
Again, thanks for the info. This gives a clear-cut way of beating it (might have already been explained before...).
a. The criticals are:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB916281)

Security Update for Windows 98 (KB891711)

I had pointed this out before. Both of the applied patches from AP are:

-Unofficial KB925454 is NEWER than KB916281 (and contains XPSP2 modules)

p.s. per soporific:

kb925454 - 2006 Dec - I - Unofficial Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 sp1 - superceeded by kb928090
ALSO XPSP2; maybe just not set in place yet...

-The Unofficial U891711 version has NEWER versions (WHERE FROM?)

Theoretically, these messages could be ignored, but in the interest of NOT appearing, the OFFICIAL ones could be installed BEFORE the unofficial ones (within the installation sequence) OR the appropriate INF info could be installed (via REG files).

b. The Win98/Win98SE include:

34 multi-language updates plus the Euro tool (not needed)

Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1

Windows Critical Update Notification 4.0

Agent 2.0

-The 34 multi-language updates are already contained in the IE6SP1 module. Just go to Add/Remove, select IE6SP1, and add them in, ONLY if you need/want them. If you install Auto-Language Select instead and browse to a non-english page, it SHOULD automatically install from the IE6 folder (provided that you leave it on your HDD. SO it's irrelevant.

-Euro tool might be in the Optional Components section of AP... it IS in the Lite version (have yet to re-test AP Full). Yep, irrelevant!

-Microsoft .NET 1.1 is unnecessary as you have installed .NET 2.0. Apparently, MS neglects to detect that you already HAVE the latest. This could also be circumvented (maybe) by a REG file, since installing .NET 2.0 over top of .NET 1.1 clears the .NET 1.1 folders out. BTW, the latest MSN Messenger REQUIRES .NET 2.0 (go figger)!

-Notification... has been deemed irrelevant. I THINK it only applies to Windows OS, but MAY apply to non-Windows components. THAT is why a "WU fix" has been implemented. You WILL need any IE6 updates that may come, since it is STILL SUPPORTED! Easier to use WU occasionally than to go and search MS.COM (in the IE6 section).

-MS-Agent. You can get this from MS if you want. I have it. It's sole purpose is to allow silly stuff like MS-Merlin to work. Just a nifty display thingy that makes "floating" screen overlays that follow your mouse cursor. Irrelevant... BUT go to MS.COM and do a search; there you will find more info.

Whenever "the bossman" has time, perhaps he can re-browse this forum and put together a real nice HELP file. MS provides free software to create/edit .CHM files. OR maybe someone else with time on their hands...

Bottom line... it's all good!

Edited by submix8c

-Notification... has been deemed irrelevant. I THINK it only applies to Windows OS, but MAY apply to non-Windows components. THAT is why a "WU fix" has been implemented. You WILL need any IE6 updates that may come, since it is STILL SUPPORTED! Easier to use WU occasionally than to go and search MS.COM (in the IE6 section).

Silly me not remembering that IE6 has to live on with MS support indefinitely as way too many users (especially XP users) won't upgrade to IE7 for a variety of reasons many of which are unmentionable lol

Thanks for all the replies, submix AND SO QUICK TOO :D

I only mentioned the languages/Euro and other stuff for completeness. All these and anything else I immediately eliminate from showing again by using the Configure Windows Update (or is it Preferences? or Options? it's on the left hand side of the webpage anyway lol). If anyone hasn't ever checked that out, do it now - you have to do it again if you reinstall, but it is only clearing some checkboxes.

Do we need a sticky which shows the superceded updates still being "offered" by Windows Update after using the Autopatcher (especially KB type with so many numbers to check and match lol) or did I miss that?

Now then, I wonder if that Autopatcher could automatically make the expandable Control Panel on the Start Menu instead of me doing it manually when I first install Win98SE? lol (Dunno what I mean? Well, after TweakUI is in, disable "Shortcut to" on the shortcut creations. Then create a folder in Start Menu called "Control Panel". Then open Control Panel, select all items and drag them into the new folder and create shortcuts. Done.)

Thanks again.

briton / soporific :hello: :

briton:

No problem... Yeah, maybe the Start-Menu version of WU would be the way to go (just replace it via the "WU Fix" install. Appears the ONLY difference in the shortcut is that the original does NOT have a "Start In Folder" value (stuff is set in the registry...).

Superceded stuff is already listed in soporific's "Complete List" forum. He's obviously a busy puppy and hasn't gotten around to it. And as a reminder (see my previous post), those noted are UN-official fixes that MS does NOT recognize. Hence, my suggestion to somehow "fix" it so they will not show, although this may depend on some kind of notification for the "unofficial" fixes.

soporific:

Dang it! A BIG (small) BUG in BOTH Full and Lite!

***** Critical & Recommended System Updates Module Menu *****

4 ... Unofficial Add/Remove Programs Utility Update ..... is set to INSTALL

ADDREMOV.EXE/ADDREMOV.INF
HKLM,(etc.)\Uninstall\ADDREM9X,DisplayName,,"· Remove Unofficial 2-4 GB Files Errors KERNEL32.DLL Fix"
UCopy2GB.EXE/SE.INF
HKLM,(etc.)\Uninstall\C2GBP,DisplayName,,"· Remove Unofficial 2-4 GB Files Errors KERNEL32.DLL Fix"

First one is wrong (ADDREMOV.INF) and caused a little confusion when I went to Add/Remove Programs until I tracked it down. Easy fix (who's stuff is this? they should be notified!)!

Mind if I jump in?

I like opening the Control Panel in the traditional way and didn't like it when I tried having the links all in the Start Menu.

I also would not like that Automatic Windows Update thing. I don't want a thing from Windows Update since so many of those are broken to start with. Ya think they'll try to carefully design Internet Explorer 6 updates so they work on 98SE at this point? They'll more likely to design them to destroy Windows 98SE so folks will get frustrated and buy XP or Vista. Heck, that's what I would do! Business is dog eat dog, and Redmond wants upgrades that give them cash. I barely trust WU on XP, preferring the RyanVM upgrade pack approach. Vista, well for now we need them but that's okay since that's where the improvements will show up from now on.

We'd be much better off letting Windows Update stay broken on 98 so folks won't install anything from it. Updates from there would be more likely to break things than help. We have folks here who tear into new Internet Explorer updates and make them compatible and just as importantly make them work on 9x systems.

So, less tinkering with how our Start Menu works and more making sure that we're getting all the necessary updates is what I suggest. There are other projects that deal with GUI changes.

soporific:

***** Critical & Recommended System Updates Module Menu *****

HKLM,(etc.)\Uninstall\C2GBP,DisplayName,,"· Remove Unofficial 2-4 GB Files Errors KERNEL32.DLL Fix" - First one is wrong (ADDREMOV.INF) and caused a little confusion when I went to Add/Remove Programs until I tracked it down. Easy fix (who's stuff is this? they should be notified!)!

YAY!! times a million ... i had that down on my list of things to do and it looked like a laborious process of elimination that i just don't have the time for. Anyway, i have finally bitten the bullet and learnt how to do proper MS hotfix installers (now you can see what i've been doing with my time), and i can now report that you can download the fixed ADDREMOV update from here:

http://soporific.dsleague.com/downloads/ADDREMOV.exe

MDGx: i think i got it right, so you should be able to just replace the one you're hosting with this one.

PS: i agree with Eck about the focus of this project. I have included a tweaks section, which is where any tweaks to the system should go, and so they will all be optional as a matter of course. The other way forces the tweak upon the user. Nup. That's what the Revolutions Pack is for! :lol::P .... ... (just jousting with ya Tihiy, you know i love ya to bits ... or is that bytes?)

Edited by soporific

soporific:

HKLM,(etc.)\Uninstall\C2GBP,DisplayName,,"· Remove Unofficial 2-4 GB Files Errors KERNEL32.DLL Fix" - First one is wrong (ADDREMOV.INF) and caused a little confusion when I went to Add/Remove Programs until I tracked it down. Easy fix (who's stuff is this? they should be notified!)!

i can now report that you can download the fix for the ADDREMOV update from here:

http://soporific.dsleague.com/downloads/ADDREMOV.exe

MDGx: i think i got it right, so you should be able to just replace the one you're hosting with this one.

My bad, I had overlooked a copied INF string... :(

But since, I've updated ADDREMOV to include a newer version of PROGRAMS.EXE [from RP7], and added 2 new Tihiy tools: iptest.exe + shutdown.exe [all unpacked with "UPX -d" = restored to original fiel size, that's why all those file sizes are larger than the ones you may have].

Please try the new tools package at your convenience:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#ARP

File [559 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/TOOLS9X.EXE

Complete details:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/TOOLS9X.TXT

TOOLS9X.EXE is listed in the 4-25-2007 update here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46581

Also, if you try to d/l ADDREMOV.EXE from my site, you now get TOOLS9X.EXE [.htaccess redirection ;)].

Actual ADDREMOV.EXE file is deleted.

BTW:

I've removed msizap, it's only a primitive command line only tool [by M$], can be used for only 1 purpose:

delete reg entries for buggy/uninstalled MSI packages.

Thanks.

HTH