Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

soporific, where are you??

Sydney, Australia ... like my profile says :sneaky:

Have you gone AWOL?

Have i gone "Absent without leave"?

Whose permission do i need, and where am i absent from??

I'm happy to answer questions but not the Spanish Inquisition...

Now i finally understand the saying .... and its true!!! ... nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!

This could very well be a dumb question, so apologies if so...

In the July upgrade it says that you've removed .Net Framework 2... by this do you mean it will uninstall the .Net framework installed by the required June SP or do you mean it isn't included in the July upgrade?

Sorry for my confusion... :wacko:

(btw: Thanks for all your hard work :thumbup )

This could very well be a dumb question, so apologies if so...

In the July upgrade it says that you've removed .Net Framework 2... by this do you mean it will uninstall the .Net framework installed by the required June SP or do you mean it isn't included in the July upgrade?

Sorry for my confusion... :wacko:

(btw: Thanks for all your hard work :thumbup )

It isn't included in the July upgrade ... Auto-Patcher isn't Big Brother you know, if you want .Net Framework 2 installed, you should be allowed to without the fear of other apps uninstalling it.

If this was the Spanish Inquisition, however, yes, it would be uninstalled. :lol:

It isn't included in the July upgrade ... Auto-Patcher isn't Big Brother you know, if you want .Net Framework 2 installed, you should be allowed to without the fear of other apps uninstalling it.

If this was the Spanish Inquisition, however, yes, it would be uninstalled. :lol:

I DON'T want .Net framework installed... and I'm glad the you're no longer including it. My question/point is that it will still be installed, will it not?

If the July upgrade could be installed without the June SP then the fact that it's not included from now on would be clear i.e. it wouldn't be there. But since the July upgrade needs the June SP then it will be there... which (to me) makes the statement that it's not a bit misleading.

But don't bother replying to this - I can find a million and 1 people on the net who'll talk to me like I'm a child without having to take up any of your precious time... :angry:

Edited by Cadian

Here's how things go: it doesn't matter which older version you have installed, that you subsequently have upgraded to July 2007. As long as the July 2007 code does NOT include .NET installation routine, then .NET will not be installed, although it may physically be unpacked in the Auto-Pather folder as an installation kit, from the previous version.

So fear not - the July 2007 code will not install .NET. Period.

Thanks for the clarification, Drugwash.

I guess my confusion then is that I've misunderstood the wording on the first page:

Please Note: this upgrade installer requires you to have the June 2007 sp2 release already installed

When it says "installed" I guess it means unpacked and ready to go, but doesn't mean I should run the June install routine (which I assume would install .Net Framework) but that I should then unpack the July upgrade and run that install routine... or am I still wrong?

Thanks.

(Note: I don't have any version of Auto-Patcher already installed)

Yes, by 'installed' it means unpacked and ready. There is an installer that unpacks all the files and stuff, so technically there's nothing wrong with the wording. It doesn't say 'run', 'launched' or 'applied', but I admit, it can be a bit confusing.

So just install/unpack the June SP2 full version and then install/unpack the July upgrade on top of it. Only then you may run/launch/apply the actual Auto-Patcher routine that'll do its job.

Good luck!

P.S. You do have the choice to install certain modules or not, so regardless of the version, you may opt out of installing whatever you consider unwanted/useless.

Edited by Drugwash

Just a question.

Will using this auto-patcher package interfere with Revolutions Pack 7, Win98SE uSPv2.1a and 98SE2ME?

Auto-Patcher is simply an automatic hotfix installer: it automatically installs all the updates released by Microsoft (and also people on MSFN) based upon your module selections. So your question then becomes:

Will installing all the official updates from Micrsoft, and all the unofficial updates from places like MSFN interfere etc??

I dunno, but they shouldn't.

Hey soporific, long time no talkie.

Gape is back as I'm sure you're aware. :thumbup

That's really awesome, but just like earlier experiences some folks had (I guess I was "some folks") interacting between stuff like 98MP10 and Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se, there will likely be folks trying out different combinations of things again and reporting interaction experiences. That post above was just a sign of things to come. That's a good thing. Reporting experiences is the only way to know there may be a problem or something to fix. Although, of course you don't know what'll happen until people try to use them in combination. Like you said, it doesn't appear that they would conflict.

When you first released the Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se I was using it after using the Unofficial Service Pack For Windows 98SE and didn't notice any bumps in the road.

Ya know, I actually am experiencing a feeling of trollishness. That's what I get for not using Windows 98SE and still being interested in what's going on here. I've been a lurker lately, mostly using Debian GNU/Linux (Lenny) and once in a blue moon booting into Vista. Ah well, I'm being supportive here and as far as I know that's not trolling so I'm safe.

Sheesh, and this was probably my favorite website ever (well, besides mdgx's). It's kind of a sad thing. It's hard to have anything to post when not currently using any of this stuff.

Hi there,

.. just wondering if it will works (for example) on the Spanish version of Windows 98. I didn't tried it yet, hopefully I have more time to wait your answers, but I need to keep somehow the SP. version on one of my boss computer, and on another hand to try to upgrade it somehow.

Thanks in advance and GREAT JOB :thumbup you've done.

(sorry for my badly english :whistle: )

Hi there,

.. just wondering if it will works (for example) on the Spanish version of Windows 98. I didn't tried it yet, hopefully I have more time to wait your answers, but I need to keep somehow the SP. version on one of my boss computer, and on another hand to try to upgrade it somehow.

Thanks in advance and GREAT JOB :thumbup you've done.

(sorry for my badly english :whistle: )

Works, but all updates are in english, therefore it's better that you localize Auto-Patcher for your language.

Hey Soporific, your Auto-Patcher is the best!

I've been using it for some time.

However, I have found a problem that did not occur a couple of versions ago.

I have Tihiy's Revolutions Pack 7 installed that uses different user32.dll and user.exe files.

Even though I have the Q891711 "Unofficial fix for newer cursor and icon format vulnerability" set to by-pass, it installs anyway...

The problem?

It does not version check the two user32.dll and user.exe and back-dates them.

Since these two files are version level matched with shell32.dll and explorer.exe, Windows blue-screens on start-up.

I have to manually replace the two files from the Revolutions Pack install files part way through the Auto-Patcher install process to get back into Windows to complete it...

This has happened for the last three Auto-Patcher updates...

I have standard English US Windows 98 Second Edition.

Something to look into with your scripts.

Keep up the good work!