Makecab & Expand right click functionality

Hi my dear friends!

For those of you who use Total Commander with configuration - operation set to left click behaviour, this might be of interest, for those of you who stick to Explorer, this tip won't be of any value.

I use to modify .dll files in the I386 Folder, swapping images and stuff. Therefore I have to compress (makecab) and decompress (expand) files a lot. Now I used to open a command window and type in the commands followed by the filename I was working on, but now I found an easier way to either Makecab or Expand files by using the Right Click Menu.

I created an installer which drops 2 command scripts into the SendTo folder after which you can right click and either Makecab or Expand files without having to open a command window and type in anything. Simply right click the file and choose either Makecab or Expand et voila....An uninstaller is located in Start > Programs > pdbSendTo > uninstall.

I hope it is helpful for someone,

Best regards,

Paul :)

pdbSENDTO.zip

jdoe has certainly posted a SendTo expand and cab idea before, and if I remember correctly it was in both batch or vbs.

Here is a more robust system to the one you're offering. Firstly it doesn't use %1% since the variable should be typed as %1. It is a little more robust because the batch files are better and the inf simpler. It can still be uninstalled using Add/Remove Programs.

To use it, extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice, right-click on phrenic.inf and choose install, you can now delete the contents of the zip if you wish. You will now be able to right click on a file or folder and choose 'cabitup.cmd' or 'expandit.cmd' from the Send To menu. Cabitup.cmd will accept a file or folder, if it is a folder, you will get a cab file, if a file it will be compressed with makecab.exe. Expandit.cmd will only accept a file; if it is a cab file then it will be extracted to a folder of similar name, if a cabbed file then it will uncab that file.

Hope it helps someone out.

<Edit>

The file I have posted is not in any way only for users of a 3rd party file manager. Any Win2k XP and 2k3 explorer right-click should suffice.

</Edit>

phrenic.zip

Edited by Yzöwl

• 5 years later...