Should Windows Install to own partition / drive?

From time to time, I read suggestions (from a variety of sources) that say it is better to install windows to its own partition - apparently makes it easier when doing a reload down the road...

I currently have windows and program files on Disk #1 (c:\) and Documents and Settings on Disk #2 (D:\).

From my perspective - I don't see the benefit of moving program files to D:\ so that windows has exclusive ownership of C:\

If I were to do a new reinstall of windows - it would generate a new registry table - and all references to the programs @ "D:\Program Files" would be lost - requiring me to reinstall them all over again.

If I were to do an overlay of the existing windows setup - my program usability and references in the registry would be maintained (for the most part) - but what have I achieved by having them on d: instead of c:\?

Maybe when they say windows should be installed in its own partition - they are actually suggesting what I already do - keep the documents and settings directory separate - so the data and settings can be recovered and resued when rebuilding the OS (in case a format of C: is required)...

Am I on the right track - or should I consider moving program files to a new drive?

I personally only put my swap file on a different drive , everything XP is on my C drive.

But I use Drive Image once a week , so if things do go pear shaped on me I always have a fairly recent backup to hand - a real lifesaver that one :)