List of additional files to remove

Hi all.

I'm looking to strip my winXP down further than it already is. A while back, I came across a pretty damned long list of additional files that could be removed, over and above the list of components given in nLite. I remember these files were all non-dependent and safe to remove for about 99% of the installations out there, no matter what else was removed. but now I can't find it.

Was wondering if anyone know of such a list and if so, could you point me to it? I'm not at all familiar with XP at the individual file level, and therefore don't just want to willy-nilly start removing things.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Cheers.

Hussein.

You might want to take a cautious look at BoldFortune's Guide Slimming Down Windows XP. This guy has devoted the better part of his life to hunting down every single file of Windows XP that can be deleted without immediately crashing the system. However, keep in mind that Bold Fortune's requirements of his OS are very modest to say the least. He prides himself to be sufficient without any security programs, Adobe Reader and Microsoft Office amongst others. For any third party application that you plan to install it's a safe guess that BF's guide has not catered for that application's particular needs.

Thanks. The mass of information this guy has put together is frankly astounding. I'm going to install the nlite'd version of WinXP Pro I have now, then run some batch files later. Should be able to clear a good 30-50MB of space. I need the OS running, but I do intend to remove a lot of the files from the distribution itself, then burn that to CD.

Cheers.

Hussein.