NFS Most Wanted exits do desktop when sound is on

-= Mancubus =-

I don't remember when it's started, but for a long time I can't play my NFS MW.

Just as I start it and it passes all starting movies and tries to load game interface, it just exits to the desktop, saying nothing why it happens. After a lot of reinstallations I found, that it I disable the on-board sound, game loads successfully. But it's not a solution, I want to hear the roaring of engines and so! :-)

I didn't find anyone having the same problem, but found a lot of ones who have troubles with other games when having NF2 with on-board sound. The common solution suggested is to turn on 98-ME compatibility mode. It didn't work for me.

Maybe someone of you guys would be able to help here? Anyway, thanks to all who answer!

I guess, this info will be helpful:

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)

OS Service Pack Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)

DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:

CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1833 MHz (11 x 167) 2500+

Motherboard Name Epox EP-8RDA3+/8RDA3G (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)

Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400

System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type Award (07/21/03)

Display:

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT AGP 128 MB

Monitor LG Flatron ez T710PH [17" CRT] (131020979)

Multimedia:

Audio Adapter C-Media CMI9739(A) @ nVIDIA MCP2 - Audio Codec Interface

P.S. Forgot to mention, that I use all the latest drivers from 6.8 release of Bashrat's driverpacks and all updates for system from RyanVM's packs.

Edited by -= Mancubus =-

what driver version are you using? i know you're using a driver pack but you're not always sure

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CAR...9-UDA-039.shtml

this is the latest one for that card, although it is 3 yrs old...

if that doesnt work then try changing the audio hardware acceleration. do that my going to control panel, audio properties,advanced,performance. then just lower the hardware acceleration 1 bar and try the game again.

what driver version are you using?

this is the latest one for that card, although it is 3 yrs old...

if that doesnt work then try changing the audio hardware acceleration.

Thanks for tips.

Yes, the stated version is the same that is available on C-Media site. Though, the one from driverpack is dated 2004 and numbered as 45, when that "official" one is 39. I tried it, it doesn't help either, and I don't see any noticeable difference in work, anyway.

Reducing and even turning off harware acceleration was the first thing I tried. The game still crashes with any value I try, and only turning off the sound device helps...

in the sound options menu for the game, do you have software or hardware rendering selected for audio?

Nope. There's no such option at all, only volume is adjustable. Though, maybe, it's controlled through some ini-file... Should check it.

Edited by -= Mancubus =-