Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

svchost.exe 99% CPU usage

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

edgewise

edgewise

• 10 posts
  • Joined 06-August 06
That's right... while playing CS i get low fps i minimize then Ctrl+alt+del and it says svchost.exe uses 99% of CPU.

check this out

Posted Image

Is there any way to solve this problem forever?

Peace!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,093 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

use ProcessExplorer, this programs give you more details about the process and display the name of the service which causes the 99% cpu usage.

btw, welcome :)
Posted Image

Zxian

Zxian

Scroll up - see the Google bar?

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined 30-September 04
Are you sure your computer is completely clean of malware? (viruses, spyware, adware) That's always the first check. Use your installed anti-virus to check for viruses at first, and then use TrendMicro HouseCall.

Are you using Microsoft Update as well? I've heard of people having high CPU troubles with Automatic Updates checking all the updates and not just the Windows updates.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,093 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Are you using Microsoft Update as well? I've heard of people having high CPU troubles with Automatic Updates checking all the updates and not just the Windows updates.

yes, this is a **** bug :realmad:
Posted Image

colornokia

colornokia

• 38 posts
  • Joined 30-July 04
Yeap it's problem with automatic updates and microsoft update too. Turn off automatic updates service and everything should be ok, but you should enable the service again to use microsoft's update site...

Edited by colornokia, 21 August 2006 - 03:18 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

edgewise

edgewise

• 10 posts
  • Joined 06-August 06
thanks for the replys guys, i'll do it.

Peace.

edgewise

edgewise

• 10 posts
  • Joined 06-August 06

Are you sure your computer is completely clean of malware? (viruses, spyware, adware) That's always the first check. Use your installed anti-virus to check for viruses at first, and then use TrendMicro HouseCall.

if automatic updates is the problem, how can i solve it without disabling it? cause if i do, i'll get the security windows message.... is there any patch or something ?

peace.

Edited by edgewise, 03 September 2006 - 12:33 PM.

dhdan

dhdan

• 46 posts
  • Joined 10-February 05
Just open the security center and click on the left where it says change the way Security Center alerts me. Uncheck the box for the automatic updates. This will get rid of the message and you don't have to disable the auto updates service when you turn off auto updates. Just remember to check for updates occasionally.

edgewise

edgewise

• 10 posts
  • Joined 06-August 06

Just open the security center and click on the left where it says change the way Security Center alerts me. Uncheck the box for the automatic updates. This will get rid of the message and you don't have to disable the auto updates service when you turn off auto updates. Just remember to check for updates occasionally.

didnt work..........CRAP!

dedogs

dedogs

• 15 posts
  • Joined 30-December 05
disable all the windows update services and use the firefox windows update site to update : http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

Tarun

Tarun

Spectre

• Super Moderator
  • 3,188 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
It's a virus. Download and run Avast and you can get rid of it.

epic

epic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Joined 13-January 05
It's an issue with 'Automatic Updates' utility. Microsoft is aware of this and working on resolving the issue. There is also a registry fix to reregister a few system components. I'll post the fix when I locate it on my file server.

Tarun

Tarun

Spectre

• Super Moderator
  • 3,188 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
Dial-a-fix can most likely fix it as well.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,093 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

KB916089-v5 fixes this issue
Posted Image

LLXX

LLXX

MSFN Junkie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts
  • Joined 04-December 05
...I think you've all managed to scare him away with various comments about the issue.

The best way to proceed is to determine exactly what is consuming the CPU.

Note the PID of the svchost which is consuming 99%.

Open a command prompt and run "tasklist /svc". Locate the svchost with the appropriate PID and post what services are in it.

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04
Yeah, it can be MANY more things than automatic updates. I've never seen auto updates do this ever, but I've seen kaspersky and NOD32 do exactly that before (their services), for no apparent reason (clean machine and all). I've seen this happen if one uses a overly large HOSTS file too. And there's many, many more things can do that. So I wouldn't be so quick to blame automatic updates.
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkรค-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

svavarm

svavarm
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 14-December 06
I figured out it was Windows Defender in my case. I turned off the automatic scanning of Windows Defender and it fixed the problem.
I have now had Vista installed for about 2 weeks and it ran smoothly with no problems the first week. After the first week it began lagging heavily and I turned down all visual settings to see if that fixed the problem. It helped but it did not fix anything as it still lags with everything turned to minimum. (my computers has a 3.0 rating, its a laptop and the graphic card is what scores the lowest).

It seems like Vista has a serious problems with CPU usage of almost everything, if a I for example go to www.gizmodo.com in firefox my CPU jumps to 100% usage the WHOLE time I am there, not just when it is loading. (It could be Adobe Flash in this case but that does not explain why Vista needs 20% of my CPU to play a mp3 in Winamp or even WMP). And my processor is a 1.9ghz Dothan chip. Anyone else experiencing problems similar to these?

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01
Have you considered dumping those processes to debug? I can tell you, if it's happening in multiple processes, it's not going to be Vista's fault. If you dump a process while at 100% CPU and send me the dump file, I can probably tell you what you've got installed chewing up the CPU...
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

beastyboy9

beastyboy9
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 05-March 10

Have you considered dumping those processes to debug? I can tell you, if it's happening in multiple processes, it's not going to be Vista's fault. If you dump a process while at 100% CPU and send me the dump file, I can probably tell you what you've got installed chewing up the CPU...

I'm having the same problem and would appreciate any help!!! In my command prompt, I have the following svchost.exe PID's:

848: DcomLaunch, PlugPlay
924: RpcSs
1028:Audiosrv, Dhcp, Eventlog, lmhosts, wscsvc
1056: AudioEndpointBuilder, EMDMgmt, hidserv, Netman, PcaSvc, SysMain, TabletInputService, TrkWks, UxSms, WdiSystemHost, Wlansvc, WPDBusEnum, wudfsvc
1068: AeLookupSvc, Appinfo, BITS, Browser, EapHost, IKEEXT, iphlpsvc, LanmanServer, MMCSS, ProfSvc, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS, ShellHWDetection, Themes, Winmgmt, wuauserv
1176: gpsvc
1236: EventSystem, FDResPub, LanmanWorkstation, netprofm, nsi, SSDPSRV, SstpSvc, upnphost, W32Time, WebClient, WinHttpAutoProxySvc
1348: CryptSvc, Dnscache, KtmRm, NlaSvc, TapiSrv, TermService
3440: PolicyAgent
636: stisvc
2926: WerSvc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users