Computer no longer "remembers" passwords & logins

John O

Our Dell PC went into the shop last month and since it returned - it lost some drivers due to stupid operator error - I have to reenter login names and passwords on most of the web sites I frequent. Also, on varous sites, past searches would still be there. In other words, if I go to IMDB or e-bay to look for a name again, I have to re type the name, whereas before, if I typed just the first letter, it would reappear.

A few websites will still remember my login and allow me to enter. some will not, but they all used to.

I am not very good with computers, so I hope I am making my case clearly enogh.

John

are you using internet explorer? if so, i have an idea.

start up IE, goto Tools ---> Internet Options ---> Content (tab at the top) ---> Auto Complete (button) then click both the clear Forms and Clear Passwords buttons. Also, make sure that Use auto complete for "user names and passwords on forms." is on.

if that doesnt work, they may have changed something else in your registry.

edit: i forgot to say, youll have to enter all the passwords again, and it should come up and ask you if you want to save them. click yes, and it should save them. also, you can double click in the part where you usually type the first letter and itll come up and ask you which password you want to enter.

Edited by Cygnus

There is this web site that I frequent, www.rusc.com. I am a member and I used to be able to go there each time without having to log on. Now I have to log on each time I enter. No big deal, I guess, but it was nice before this.

I went to the tools and did what you suggest with no apparent relief.

If I only had a brain. :o

no, firefox is another web browser. im actually having the same problem you are with IE on my laptop. it involved me messing around with the Index.dat file in cookies lol.

im gonna keep playing around with it and see if i can fix it. ill post back with any progress.

Takeshi, I am sure that your linked web page is what I need, but I am pretty apprehensive about fooling around with my registry as that is what caused the problem in the first place. Perhaps I can ask a tech person I know. :(

The article actually takes you step-by-step holding your hand and also tells you to export the reg key to have a backup first so you're covered in case things go wrong.

In computers (and most things) unless you do it yourself you never really learn the trade. We all start from somewhere at one stage.

Read the KB carefully and do what it says. Editing the registry is not hard if you just keep your cool and be sensible.

I attempted to download IE7 but it really caused a problem. It seemed to install OK, but then I ended up with the new icon and 4 shortcut icons. Whenever I clicked on the icon to open IE7, the computer loaded for a long time and locked up and nothing happened. After two or three reboots, I finally went to system restore.

wow... thats pretty weird. i loaded IE7 fine and didnt get that.

what would it be for you to reload that computer? that might be what your headed for :(

Edited by Cygnus