vista rc1 install

dAbReAkA

previous builds could be installed without a dvd - either by emulating with daemon tools (or alcohol) or extracting the files and running setup.exe

all the methods that used to work before, now cause setup.exe to go to 100% cpu when entering the key (or selecting the version manually).. is there any way to install it without a dvdrom?

intel p4 2,6HT, msi i865pe neo-2, 2x256mb (DDR 400 mhz)

i have a partition prepared.. i have free space on C: for the installation files, but why is it hammering my cpu every time i enter the key or selecting vista ultimate manually.. i even tried entering invalid keys - 100% cpu for a couple of seconds and a "wrong key" message.. what i tried so far:

1. emulating with daemon tools (4.03, 3.47)

2. emulating with alcohol (120%, 52%)

3. installing from a folder (d:\setup\..)

4. installing from a partition (f:\)

i've seen several people install it with an emulator.. all i know is that it's not just me.. one other guy has the same problem like me (100% cpu, freeze at cd-key step).. i really have no clue.. i thought new builds are intentionally made not to install with emulators and stuff like that.. only from dvd..

intel p4 2,6HT, msi i865pe neo-2, 2x256mb (DDR 400 mhz)

i have a partition prepared.. i have free space on C: for the installation files, but why is it hammering my cpu every time i enter the key or selecting vista ultimate manually.. i even tried entering invalid keys - 100% cpu for a couple of seconds and a "wrong key" message.. what i tried so far:

In my experience you can install with no key.

You will get a warning and are then asked which edition of vista to install.

Of course entry of a key will be necessary before activating when the 14 day period expires.

I know you are looking for a no-dvd install - possibly because you don't have a DVD burner???

Physical media installs are always going to be preferred than mounting the image.

Yesterday I noticed two nice downloads on Connect (one in Spanish and one in English). It was RC1 spanned over 4/5 images for use on CD's instead of DVDs. Unfortunately the only thing downloadable was a readme for both languages but it was showing as CD ISO's were/would be available. Maybe MS will release these to the public too with RC1 (and you have a CD burner) as well as the DVD ISO.

This also suggests Vista will not only be available on DVD, but also on several CDs for those who don't have a DVD reader. (Not in the system requirements for Vista, only Ultimate Edition).

*Update: Seems to have been taken off Connect - but will it still be available? Did they want us to see it?

Edited by Biohead

installation on several CDs would be cool.. not that i will waste 5 CDs for RC1.. but i certainly would for the final release.. btw, till it gets final i will have a dvd burner and stuff, and one more gig of ram so that wont be a problem..

the way i run the setup.exe is not important - everything leads to the same problem..

which means that either my windows installation is corrupted and causes it to go to 100% cpu or it's a hardware incompability, right? i'll install a fresh copy of windows on another drive today and try to run the setup

I think I missed something here.

Vista CD's are UDF file system - which aren't they just images of DVD's instead of CD's?

Daemon Tools can't mount UDF images, at least it's not listed.

PowerISO can't mount it.

Filedisk can't mount it - all you see is a readme.txt and nothing else.

If it can be mounted, what program can mount UDF and see all the setup files instead of just the readme.txt?

You can't mount the ISO is virtualpc either. it tells you ISO is not valid or something...

while the topic is still kinda fresh:

i got myself daemon tools because when i burned 5536 it would always have a corrupt file.

it started out slow, but went alright. i got all the way to when it gave me the whole "please wait for windows to prepare to start for the first time' whatever stuff, it went on, and then it froze while completing the installation. luckily it rolled it back, so i'm on 5384 now, but should i just do a clean install? would that be better for me?