Slow internet in RC1?

Coco

I'm just wondering has anoyone else noticed the internet is much slower in vista? If I ping my ISP while booted into vista RC1 I get ping reply times of 1500ms to 1800ms on average. If I boot into knoppix or windows XP (using the same PC) I get ping reply times of about 80ms on average.

I'm assuming it has something to do with all this IPv6 stuff. Naturally I'm not very familiar with it. I can see I have an ipv4 IP and it's working fine, but I also have two ipv6 ip's which confuses me.

Perhaps I'm way off blaming ipv6 though. Has anyone else noticed this issue with RC1 yet or is it just me?

I don't quite know what's going on. It seems to get worse over time. If I reset the computer and try pining it seems to go pretty good about 60ms to my ISP. But if I let it run for a few hours and then try pinging again it gets worse untill it gets to about 2000ms ping times. Very odd. I won't worry about this too much since it's an RC.

Coco are you using on board Marvell Yukon LAN by chance?

If so try this tip from the Longhornblog...

Anyone who has installed Vista 5536 on a machine with a Marvell Yukon NIC knows that it has issues, you cannot browse websites or really do anything functional on the network. One easy way to fix it is to of course install the XP NIC Drivers. The other way however, lets you keep the Vista driver and just fix the root of the problem. Here's how to do it:

1. Go to Start -- Run and type "devmgmt.msc" without quotes.

2. Expand Network Adapters

3. Right Click the Marvell device and go to properties.

4. Click on the advanced tab.

5. Select IPv4 Checksum Offload and set the Value to Disabled.

6. Hit ok and enjoy!

NOTE: This may also work for people who have Realtek network devices and are experiencing hard system lock-ups when doing anything on the network. No promises there but I can confirm this works 100% for Marvell.

Edited by Spyvie

Thanks spyvie for the suggestion however, I just checked that setting and it's already set to disabled by default for me. Although I'm currently using an nvidia nforce network on board nic to type this. I do have a second Marvell Yukon LAN onboard NIC but I am currently unable to assign it an IP for reasons I have yet to figure out.

I shall continue to look into this. I'm still sure it's a vista setting since both XP and knoppix work with both NIC's just fine.